The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

How are those Yuma razors?
A favorite of mine and a daily driver for 2-3 years way back when.
It’s like you are pre-running the one blade blade! Great things Dave!
Thanks Rich

Wednesday January 29, 2020
2020 Shave # 31 ( 450 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Yuma
Blade: Wizamet (12)
Brush: Stirling Badger
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (31)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Terre D'Hermes Splash
Fragrance: Terre D'Hermes EdT

Nice 3 pass shave again with the Yuma and shave 12 on the Wizamet. I'm debating to maybe just use this one straight thru the start of 1 blade February to see if I can take it all the way to the end of that month. Shave 31 on the 3017 and we are sitting at 62 grams now. Based on @Spider calculations that's 22 grams left of soap. Topped off with Terre D'Hermes Splash and EdT, Have a Stellar day Cadre !!!!!
IMG_20200129_061155434.jpgIMG_20200129_063159548.jpg

Nice post! That fresh lime soap sounds really interesting especially with the cooling agent. That is one that I am eyeing for the summer. Also, that is cool that you are getting 12+ shaves out of that blade. When I first started shaving I always read that guys would use a blade for 3 or 4 shaves and then throw them out. That is also one of the reasons I went to a straight. Have a good one!

Nice post! That fresh lime soap sounds really interesting especially with the cooling agent. That is one that I am eyeing for the summer. Also, that is cool that you are getting 12+ shaves out of that blade. When I first started shaving I always read that guys would use a blade for 3 or 4 shaves and then throw them out. That is also one of the reasons I went to a straight. Have a good one!
Thanks Pat
Look at this guy! TDH on a Wednesday? :cool:

Stay toasty out there Dave!
Thanks Chris
In the home stretch now Dave! I’m not at the ring of death yet, so I have about a billion shaves left on this puck.

Are you loading with a fork?
Thanks Tim, No fork but I am loading longer than I used to and getting nice lather so probably how I'll load going forward too.

giphy.gif

Thursday January 30, 2020
2020 Shave # 32 ( 451 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Berkeley Shave Selector
Blade: Wizamet (13)
Brush: SV 2.0 Ziricote Wood
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (32)
Aftershave 2: Nivea 2 into 1
Fragrance: MDCI Parfums Invasion Barbare

Shave 32 with the 3017.......yada yada.........................shave 13 on the Wizamet in the new to me Berkeley Shave Selector. Some have compared this to a Gillette Tech copy. I get a more blade forward feel to it more resembling an Old Type. Not sure how the "Selector" feature works but I dialed it till it was as snug as I felt I should go and got a decent angle on the blade. I had a tiny bit of blade feel but a smooth comfortable shave and very close smooth finish. I did dial it back a half turn which is easy to see with the arrow indicator and "X's and O's" on the base plate. It felt less comfortable and not needed (I was just curious) so I dialed it back to where it was to finish the shave. Will use again tomorrow for a better feel on it before commenting more.

@Smattayu sent me a bunch of decants he was done with to try and I have neglected researching them. Snuck 1 in today as @GlazedBoker has more coming to me as well from the house of Guerlain. Thank you gentlemen. Today's sample was MDCI Parfums Invasion Barbare released in 2005 and still available. Here is what I read about it:

Invasion Barbare Notes
Grapefruit, bergamot, violet leaves, white thyme, cardamom, lavender, ginger, cedarwood, vanilla and musk

What I got- The citrus hit me up front a little peppery and then a warm floral (I'm not big on floral) but dried down nicely to the well blended base notes of the cedarwood, vanilla and musk. It's nice and said to have above average longevity.

That's all I got. Have a Stupendous Day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200129_182315008.jpg

Thanks guys. Revisiting the Invasion Barbare as I drove the hour to work I had a nice slight powdery note. On dry down it reminded me of something and then it clicked. It's VERY much like Endymion Concentrate by Penhaligon's. Not the Endymion Cologne that I prefer but more floral like the Concentrate except this is stronger. Would be a good one for @NurseDave

Friday January 31, 2020
2020 Shave # 33 ( 452 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Berkeley Shave Selector/Brass Handle
Blade: Wizamet (14)
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (33)
Aftershave 2: CFG Ghost Town Barber
Fragrance: CFG Ghost Town Barber

Shave 33 with the CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime and I can tell this is going to be around a couple more weeks.......YAY! The razor I decided to go with @Clouds recommendation and used the heavy brass handle I have from @Techichi and tightened it up and then dialed it back 1/2 a turn. I had a spectacular shave with it and after giving thought to the fact that I was on shave 14 on the Wizamet which definitely needs replacing I know it will be even better with a fresh blade so this razor is not only a great piece of hstory to have but one for the rotation at times also. Following @NurseDave 's recommendation of me needing GTB I went with it for the Splash and EdT. Was going to work but not feeling it. Have things around the house I can get done, take the dog to the follow up vet visit and a meeting tonight so took a Cadre Friday. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200130_214640494.jpg

Last edited:
Back