The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

I'm glad you liked Visit. That was an almost immediate buy after I smelled the sample, and I thought you might enjoy it.

I'm glad you liked Visit. That was an almost immediate buy after I smelled the sample, and I thought you might enjoy it.
I'm fighting the urge to just buy it but fragrance dot net gives free shipping at @$50 or so and I'm trying to wait to see if another joins it first to get the free shipping (y)

Monday February 3, 2020
2020 Shave # 36 ( 455 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Home Like Shaving Taiga Adjustable Prototype Setting # 6
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: Semogue Excelsior 830
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (36)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Aqua Velva
Fragrance: Encre Noir Lalique

Shave #36 for the 3017 and 2nd outing with the Taiga Adjustable Razor. I decided that yesterday wasn't the efficiency I was looking for even tough it was smooth and a nice shave. Today I took it up to #6 setting and yep, this is what I was looking for as far as closeness is concerned. Face is like glass and just 1 little nick reopened from a previous shave and already closed up. I can tell already that 6 will be my sweet spot for this razor........... if I ever get one. I enjoyed the shave and will repeat it tomorrow. I don't see me taking it any higher as I have the efficiency I want and the smoothness as well. I'm sure this stays smooth on higher settings but would be for multiple days growth and I'm a daily shaver. The downside for me is the head is a little bulky for getting under the nose close although I was able too. But add that to the price point and while I'd love to own one, I don't see it happening unless I find a deal down the road on a BST.
IMG_20200203_060142292.jpg

Dang you guys and those Gibbs/Taiga razors.
Got me thinking about a partner for my fat boy. Got no money 💰 for it now 😢
Fluffy
Word is they won't be restocked until the Fall..............Here's the chart for blade gaps on the Production model. Numbers go to 6 but will go past that by 2 numbers making it up to a 8 setting. So my 6 setting was a 1.33 but as smooth as can be. They say it's smooth thru all settings just like the Gibbs is.
Gap-Start.jpg

@Dave in KY Would you say it’s “better” than a fat boy?
Not sure if you have ever tried one.
While normally I would go with vintage. The thought of an all stainless is very tempting.
Ken
While I have a Restored Rhodium Fatboy and enjoy it's shaves they are apples and oranges in shave comparison. They are in price and availability as well. I feel everyone should own a Fatboy as it is one of Gillette's crowning achievements and a pleasure to shave with it's history but if I had to pick it would be this Basically as close you will get to a Modern version of a vintage Gibbs in Stainless Steel. I got my Fatboy at a flea market for $3 and had it re-done by Back Roads Gold
IMG_20200203_075545154.jpg

Tuesday February 4, 2020
2020 Shave # 37 ( 456 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Home Like Shaving Taiga Adjustable Prototype Setting # 8
Blade: Wizamet (3)
Brush: Cadre Member Brush w/Cashmere
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (37)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash
Fragrance: Prada Luna Rossa Black

Shaved with the Prototype Taiga Adjustable
IMG_20200204_060723873.jpg
So today's shave I dodged a bullet.............Shave number 3 with the Taiga dialed to the highest setting the production model has at setting 8. The issue was I did this after showing the razor disassembled and reassembled on camera. In my haste assembling while filming I didn't insure the plate was aligned properly and the whole shave while fairly smooth felt a tad rough. Mind you that's at an equivalent 1.58 blade gap and set slightly wonky. Watch the whole stupid performance on video loading in the member video section. After fixing I find that at setting 8 with that HUGE blade gap it was still a SMOOTH shaver. I need to shave 1 more time tomorrow now that I realized today's shave wasn't what it could be. Will ship Wednesday to next participant. Have a GREAT day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200204_064150472 (1).jpg
IMG_20200204_063952914.jpg

Back