The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Boy I better put my reading glasses on! Gillette Platinum instead of GSB! Sorry about that Dave. Can’t wait to read your review after you use the Polsilver in the Gibbs.
Feel better!

No worries. I have Rubies that are wicked sharp and always wondered how the Platinum compared or if they were the same. Science still requires further investigation 👍

Dave have you ever tried hand stropping a Feather on the first use? I used to get a bit of harshness on the first use and the 2nd use would be fine. I saw a YouTube vid of a guy hand stropping a DE blade and tried it on a Feather and never looked back. Now my absolute favorite blade.

Dave have you ever tried hand stropping a Feather on the first use? I used to get a bit of harshness on the first use and the 2nd use would be fine. I saw a YouTube vid of a guy hand stropping a DE blade and tried it on a Feather and never looked back. Now my absolute favorite blade.
I've read all about that. Feather never agreed with me but I have some and keep meaning to revisit but with a known razor to judge it. After I used Wizamets I've never looked back. Have over 600 now and feel I need backups for them 😎 Yeo, I'm sick......hence the Sabbatical I'm attempting.

I've read all about that. Feather never agreed with me but I have some and keep meaning to revisit but with a known razor to judge it. After I used Wizamets I've never looked back. Have over 600 now and feel I need backups for them 😎 Yeo, I'm sick......hence the Sabbatical I'm attempting.

Dave when you feel better or have the time give it a try especially if the Feather harshness is the issue.

With that said I’ve been reading a lot about the Wizamets and how good they are. Original Polsilver is how I understand it and I’ve been wanting to try one so I believe a member is going to purchase 50 of them and we are going to split the order so I can’t wait to try one.

Well I've been out in the shop finishing up building a door for the containment system in the shop for the dog. About noon I get a phone call from the fence guy saying he had a big tree got dropped down at his house and one of his workers had his roof blown off. I told him I just can't accept excuses he's supposed to be here he should be here..............just kidding. Rescheduled again....

Sunday January 12, 2020
2020 Shave # 13 ( 433 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Gibbs Adjustable Setting 4
Blade: Polsilver (1)
Brush: Paladin 26mm LE Beehive Honey Noir
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (13)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Fragrance: CK Euphoria Amber Gold

Shave #13 for the 3017 and we're grinding away at the tub.............................at least I think I am. No noticeable difference to me but it must be going down. Variety has been obtained by changing the brush, aftershave and fragrance while occasionally changing the razor. This was shave #4 with the Gibbs. I used setting 4 with a fresh Polsilver blade and this is my sweet spot I believe for daily driving. I may try 4.5 or 5 tomorrow. What a smooth and comfortable shave. I GOTTA find one of these in great shape!! No hurry but a definite buy. Tuesday will be my last shave with it as I have something else coming to test drive in the mail and others on the horizon. Perfect timing for my 3017 of the soap. Staying in and will listen to services online since I'm fighting the fine fight of the Crud. Soldier on Cadre !!
IMG_20200111_180806894.jpg

Great shave and read. I’m going to have to get familiar with the foreign auction sites, Swedish and French specifically.
Sorry to hear about the crud. Hope you feel better soon!

Back