The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bourbon Country Shave Journal - Dave in KY

Friday January 10, 2020
2020 Shave # 11 ( 431 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Gibbs Adjustable
Blade: GSB (2)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino 2.0
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (11)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: CFG Ghost Town Barber

Feeling like CRAP but had an ASTOUNDING shave with the Gibbs today on setting 4. Video uploaded to my VLOG thread. It had noticeably more blade chatter but was still a smooth shave that upon feeling my face now is like glass, color me impressed and wanting one. @Dragonsbeard what model is this and what are the differences between the 2 adjustable models verses the 3 piece models? Shave 11 with the Fresh Lime CBL Tonsorial and we are down to 93 grams and @NurseDave is "OUTA HERE" Sorry Brother ! Have a great day Cadre !!
View attachment 14709
Hi Dave
Glad the 2nd use was better than the first. Blade feel umm that may be on me. Check that blade alignment and make sure I put it in right or it didn’t move on it’s journey to you. Also please try to put the other blade in it. I hav me never gotten blade chatted from it and that’s why I’m thinking something isn’t right. Looking back I wish I had remembered my hole punch that was at my warehouse.
Listen I respect that you respect others razors no matter what the price and I’ve had more than a few sent to me to try out but Please enjoy it for a while as I don’t need it right now and play with different blades and settings. If you feel up to it try your hand at modifying a Feather blade for it.. my favorite in the Gibbs. There’s a couple of YouTube vids on how to cut them.

looking forward to the next shave review.
👍🏼

Don't mind me and blade chatter talk. Tough whiskers will move a blade when it isn't clamped close to the edge to have it rigid. Some people notice it others do not. I am one that does and why I don't care for the Variant and Progress. I notice it some but not enough to be an issue as in the other 2 razors mentioned. I don't think it has anything to do with the blade position as I checked it close. Looks perfect. I'll try the other blade after a 3rd shave with the GSB. Thanks Frank (y)

Last edited:
Don't mind me and blade chatter talk. Tough whiskers will move a blade when it isn't clamped close to the edge to have it rigid. Some people notice it others do not. I am one that does and why don't care for the Variant and Progress. I notice it some but not enough to be an issue as in the other 2 razors mentioned. I don't think it has anything to do with the blade position as I checked it close. Looks perfect. I'll try the other blade after a 3rd shave with the GSB. Thanks Frank (y)

Oh and almost forgot to answer an earlier question. That’s the 16 model and I had a 15 also and they are almost identical but the 15 I had did not come completely apart like the 16 but it may have just been mine.
BTW the place to find them is on the French Ebay. I think I paid about $67 plus shipping for the one that your shaving with a few years ago but prices have gone up but I’ll keep my eyes open for you.
excellent review as always and feel better soon!

An why did I forget to include the longer handle with the extension piece in the box.. 🙃 lol

Oh and almost forgot to answer an earlier question. That’s the 16 model and I had a 15 also and they are almost identical but the 15 I had did not come completely apart like the 16 but it may have just been mine.
BTW the place to find them is on the French Ebay. I think I paid about $67 plus shipping for the one that your shaving with a few years ago but prices have gone up but I’ll keep my eyes open for you.

Thanks and YES please keep an eye out as I never seem to be able to navigate the other ebay's. I don't expect $67 anymore but want to find one in condition like this. Box is unimportant to me. I just can't see paying more than $100-$150.....................$300 is insane ! I would definitely like to find one though(y)

Thanks and YES please keep an eye out as I never seem to be able to navigate the other ebay's. I don't expect $67 anymore but want to find one in condition like this. Box is unimportant to me. I just can't see paying more than $100-$150.....................$300 is insane ! I would definitely like to find one though(y)

Yeah it took me awhile to learn how to navigate around on all the different eBay’s but I’ve gotten some of my best conditioned vintage razors from France, Germany, Italy and England and Canada as well.
I’ll do a search on the weekend.
👍🏼

Saturday January 11, 2020
2020 Shave # 12 ( 432 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Gibbs Adjustable Setting 6
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Brush: Paladin 26mm Vesuvius Chief
Soap: CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime 3017 (12)
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Penhaligon's Sartorial AS Balm
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Sartorial EdT

It's official, I have the crud. Sore throat and sinus issues for now, but you're here for a shave. So I took the Gibbs up to 6 today and had a stellar shave. I'm impressed with this razor. I preferred the 4 setting so far but upon shave completion I removed the blade and found a Gillette Platinum instead of a GSB. Not a problem as I had never used the Platinum unless it's the same as a Ruby. Anyway I put the Polsilver in that Frank was kind enough to include pre-nipped. All set for tomorrow to try on setting 4 and then maybe 5 the day after. I read a couple posts where @elmerPHuD mentioned Sartorial which sounded great to me, so it got the nod for AS and Frag of the day.

After shave 12 with the CBL Tonsorial Fresh Lime, the tub sits at 91 grams (Soap and Tub) If I said I didn't want some variety I'd be lying but no problem continuing to enjoy this soap and scent either. Onward and upward for the 3017 !! Have a GREAT Day Cadre !!!!!!!!
IMG_20200110_211443326.jpg

Back