The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bill TV

I want to find a mount that will sit flush to the mirror so as I move closer to the mirror I don’t move out of the camera view.
I’ve wanted the same, but keep coming up empty. One would think the makers of these type of products would be more accommodating to those making shave videos. 😎

Nice Video Bill, One thing to make note of. the keenness of the Feathers, in due in large part to the fact that the bevel angle is much smaller, as the blade itself is so much thinner, therefore a perfect bevel is easier to get too, however it is also a machined edge. I am of the ilk, that agrees that a straight will NEVER approach the over all sharpness of a Manufactured blade edge such as feather. That being said I straight edge taken to it's ultimate edge where the bevel meets the stone and squeaks, there is nothing and it can get no sharper, but will last forever with very little maintenance, whereas the Feather will die off since the material is so thin. That is why you can shave for years on a honed edge and 6-8 shaves on a feather Super. So in my opinion your initial thoughts are correct IMHO

Nice Video Bill, One thing to make note of. the keenness of the Feathers, in due in large part to the fact that the bevel angle is much smaller, as the blade itself is so much thinner, therefore a perfect bevel is easier to get too, however it is also a machined edge. I am of the ilk, that agrees that a straight will NEVER approach the over all sharpness of a Manufactured blade edge such as feather. That being said I straight edge taken to it's ultimate edge where the bevel meets the stone and squeaks, there is nothing and it can get no sharper, but will last forever with very little maintenance, whereas the Feather will die off since the material is so thin. That is why you can shave for years on a honed edge and 6-8 shaves on a feather Super. So in my opinion your initial thoughts are correct IMHO
I’ve always thought that it was the blade coatings that give machine manufactured edges slight and more temporal shaving abilities.

One could theorize that a platinum coating fills in any surface imperfections and that a PTFE coating serves as a lubricant.

Overall, it is good to find stuff you like to use and use stuff that you like.

Convex Honing a Backbevel

My honing style is frowned upon in a number of circles and not for everyone. However, it has brought me success and happiness. I encourage everyone to seek the same in their own pursuits.
For those who may be curious of my way, I made this vid for the sharing of information.

The particular piece I work on here is a nice example of why you don’t see too many folks raving at how great Gold Dollar W59’s are.

For your viewing enjoyment…..

Convex Honing a Backbevel

My honing style is frowned upon in a number of circles and not for everyone. However, it has brought me success and happiness. I encourage everyone to seek the same in their own pursuits.
For those who may be curious of my way, I made this vid for the sharing of information.

The particular piece I work on here is a nice example of why you don’t see too many folks raving at how great Gold Dollar W59’s are.

For your viewing enjoyment…..

Bill, there’s a lot of merit on this type of honing and if it works for you it works for you those people that do not want to have their minds opened to different practices of honing or just being close minded so there’s no need to defend your actions because you know what your razors shave your face and that’s all that matters and that’s why we here at the Tsc welcome all sorts of methods so keep on doing what you do.

I’m also suggest, that you do an instructional video from start to finish in place that in the Tsc instructional videos as well it would be a good complement to the straight razor shaving tutorials

No no, we don't want you defrocked. I want you totally frocked! I switched to a DE today.

Back