The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bill TV

The latest. Rebounding from my recent health issue, I come back only to find my production company to have bailed out on me.

Böker 6/8
ZY 430 6/8
Stirling suds and AS, Sandpiper flavored

Styrofoam packing peanuts.

The latest. Rebounding from my recent health issue, I come back only to find my production company to have bailed out on me.

Böker 6/8
ZY 430 6/8

Great to see you back, old friend! As you know, I’m a huge fan of the styrofoam peanut test (SPT). I will not shave with a razor until it’s passed the SPT along the full length of the edge. That’s what works for me! Great video, Bill! Patrick from Nova Scotia sends his best as does the entire 30DC crew!

The latest. Rebounding from my recent health issue, I come back only to find my production company to have bailed out on me.​

Böker 6/8
ZY 430 6/8

Great Vid Bill! And glad you are on the mend. Thanks for the shout out. And the technique you’re talking about is called flat blading. So depending on where you need to clean up and the map of your beard as to which direction the whiskers are going to take the blade and touchdown on your skin at a 90° angle going down or up depending on What you’re trying to accomplish. For me I go down by the Adam’s apple and then come up and then when I’m doing the upward stroke I flip the blade from 90° probably to 45 during the stroke and that’s what cleans me up.

I too, do not subscribe to the HHT method and I will explain why from a Barber’s perspective and a hair anatomy perspective. I apologize for the length of this response. What I’m about to say will make them a bunch of honing experts very upset at me. The HHT test is actually a magic trick and I’ll explain.

There are three basic parts of the hair shaft the cortex, The medulla, and the cuticle.
1633220532983.jpeg
The cuticle protects the hair shaft, and as you can see it resembles dragon scales. This is where the HHT magic test or “pinging” as it is often described takes place your hair has elasticity, however as we become gray the elasticity breaks down and the cuticle opens or separated causing hair to break. Coloring the hair has the same effect (Another conversation). Much like the scales or a snake or flaps on an airplane. When streched, the cuticle opens thus leaving a path to the medulla. The medulla is very soft and a easy to slice through. Hence the magic trick and demonstrating how good that honers edge is. Looks good on a video but in actuality hogwash In my opinion. Also watch when a “Honer” is demonstrating HHT, the hair is stretched and supposedly the hair is dropped. When in actuality the hair is actually pulled ever so slightly into the open cuticle and “ping”. Basically like opening a lid on a jar and slicing through water. One may argue, “ But what about when i take the blade across my arm at 1/2 or 1/4 in above and it pings. Same thing the leading edge of the blade stretches the hair shaft, thus opening the cuticle, and presto the HHT magic illusion is realized LOL

To me your method and actually for me the tomato test is a far better indicator on keeness. Even more important is how it feels on “your” face and how it shaves “your” face. Honing is not Rocket Science IMHO. It is rubbing steel on a rock until the edge meets the stone at the microscopic level

Hope that helps

Great Vid Bill! And glad you are on the mend. Thanks for the shout out. And the technique you’re talking about is called flat blading. So depending on where you need to clean up and the map of your beard as to which direction the whiskers are going to take the blade and touchdown on your skin at a 90° angle going down or up depending on What you’re trying to accomplish. For me I go down by the Adam’s apple and then come up and then when I’m doing the upward stroke I flip the blade from 90° probably to 45 during the stroke and that’s what cleans me up.

I too, do not subscribe to the HHT method and I will explain why from a Barber’s perspective and a hair anatomy perspective. I apologize for the length of this response. What I’m about to say will make them a bunch of honing experts very upset at me. The HHT test is actually a magic trick and I’ll explain.

There are three basic parts of the hair shaft the cortex, The medulla, and the cuticle.
The cuticle protects the hair shaft, and as you can see it resembles dragon scales. This is where the HHT magic test or “pinging” as it is often described takes place your hair has elasticity, however as we become gray the elasticity breaks down and the cuticle opens or separated causing hair to break. Coloring the hair has the same effect (Another conversation). Much like the scales or a snake or flaps on an airplane. When streched, the cuticle opens thus leaving a path to the medulla. The medulla is very soft and a easy to slice through. Hence the magic trick and demonstrating how good that honers edge is. Looks good on a video but in actuality hogwash In my opinion. Also watch when a “Honer” is demonstrating HHT, the hair is stretched and supposedly the hair is dropped. When in actuality the hair is actually pulled ever so slightly into the open cuticle and “ping”. Basically like opening a lid on a jar and slicing through water. One may argue, “ But what about when i take the blade across my arm at 1/2 or 1/4 in above and it pings. Same thing the leading edge of the blade stretches the hair shaft, thus opening the cuticle, and presto the HHT magic illusion is realized LOL

To me your method and actually for me the tomato test is a far better indicator on keeness. Even more important is how it feels on “your” face and how it shaves “your” face. Honing is not Rocket Science IMHO. It is rubbing steel on a rock until the meets the stone at the microscopic level

Hope that helps
Thanks Dave. The packing peanut thing evolved when one day when I realized I’d have go drive 25 minutes one way for cherry tomatoes. I used to rely on thumb pad and tomatoes.

Be thankful the blemish you had was on your cheek - I got a pimple on the tip of my nose this weekend - I look like a cross between Teenage Brian and WC Fields!
Tell everyone you are cultivating it for a genuine Halloween costume.

Hope that clears up soon.

New meds make me bleed more easy. Hope nobody is gonna make me ask the Dr if I can still straight shave.

Böker 6/8
ZY 430 6/8

Man, sorry to hear you have little girlie arteries!

You compared that move to your scraping away of material. Don’t forget @BarberDave has had his skin hardened by living in the 3rd level of hell, I mean Arizona, for years.

Also, what’s that picture hanging on the wall?

Back