The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BBQ/Grill/Smoker/etc. Cooks

I love my MB 1050!!! Happy to answer any questions.
The only thing I really worry about is the quality. The ones outside Home depot all showed rust. From reviews online there seem to be problems with switches and the app and the controller.
Disclaimer : Complainers are way more vocal than lovers online. The preponderance of 5 star vs 1 star reviews on Amazon/Ace/elsewhere see to show people generally love em.

Gravity pros - set and forget for the most part even for a long smoke. Versatile, though I have the Weber gas and kettle for different situations.
Cons - longevity, size

WSM pros - longevity. Solid. Familiarity with kettle means I should be able to set and minor babysit. More compact.
Cons - No wheels. 3 Webers in a row. Booooring.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

The only thing I really worry about is the quality. The ones outside Home depot all showed rust. From reviews online there seem to be problems with switches and the app and the controller.
Disclaimer : Complainers are way more vocal than lovers online. The preponderance of 5 star vs 1 star reviews on Amazon/Ace/elsewhere see to show people generally love em.

Gravity pros - set and forget for the most part even for a long smoke. Versatile, though I have the Weber gas and kettle for different situations.
Cons - longevity, size

WSM pros - longevity. Solid. Familiarity with kettle means I should be able to set and minor babysit. More compact.
Cons - No wheels. 3 Webers in a row. Booooring.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
I've had my 1050 for 3 years have done 100s of coooks from smokes to sears and my fan finally died last cook. A ten dollar replacement from masterbuilt and she's running strong again.

I feel a lot of people buy these and do all the upgrades to try and make this grill act like a $3k grill. This is not that. But the food is amazing and when it finally does bite the dust I'll buy another one. I love mine.

I love my MB 1050!!! Happy to answer any questions.
It says it's a grill and a smoker....do you just load charcoal in the bottom (instead of the gravity hopper) to use it as a straight grill?

It says it's a grill and a smoker....do you just load charcoal in the bottom (instead of the gravity hopper) to use it as a straight grill?
Nope same hopper. It can get temps up to 700. I grill on it at 300 to 400. And then go to above 500 if. I want a sear

I smoked another brisket this weekend (no photo) and I have to say, it turned out really good. The hunk-o-beef was a little over 8 pounds of flat brisket. I cleaned and trimmed as necessary and put a mesquite rub on it. The total time in the smoker was about 10.5 hrs, after about 6 hrs I wrapped it in pink paper. I pulled it off at 203-205 degrees and put in a cooler to rest another 8 hrs. The finished result was a very tender and moist finished product. As I did with the last brisket, I cut the trimmed fat into modest sized hunks and let it render most of that 10 hr period. The rendered fat was saved for future use while the remaining cooked out fat pieced were salted and eaten like a beefy cracklins...mmm.

Based on my observations from the last brisket I smoked, I upped the smoker temp to 275 and put a meat probe in the box to measure the temp. The first half of the cook it barely registered 240-250 on the probe but the last half it maintained a solid 275 +/- a few. I will need to see what I can do to get a more accurate read in the box (clean something, replace something). Other than the temp being off a bit the biggest issue I have is keeping the water pan filled, I have to add a gallon or more every 2 hrs and that keeps me from running an overnight cook. I would LOVE to figure out a way I can refill from the outside using an external water source that is piped into the unit. If I can figure out a reliable way to meter out the water so the tray is kept filled without over filling I will definitely do it.

*Side note. My son got me a couple bags of flavored pellets from Lowes because the price was cut to $5. I poured the bag on top of what I already had in the hopper so a good portion of the cook was done without those flavored pellets. As soon as those pellets started being fed into the fire the inside of the smoker (all of it) was coated with grey soot. I don't know if the soot was intentional, as a means of delivering the "flavor" or a sign of poor quality pellets but I don't plan to use them again.

Ok....so you have the 1050.....is the 800 too much smaller?
Yes it is smaller. The 800 comes with the griddle. If you don't think you are going to use the griddle... Then buy the 900 (Costco exclusive) or 1050

Yes it is smaller. The 800 comes with the griddle. If you don't think you are going to use the griddle... Then buy the 900 (Costco exclusive) or 1050
I'm not sure if I need anything as big as the 1050. I already have a grill that size. I'll have to go and look at the 900 to see if the size is better for me. The 580 looks to be too small.

Back