The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BBQ/Grill/Smoker/etc. Cooks

I’ve been thinking of starting this thread for a while... Post your BBQ/grill/smoker or any other cooks here! Also a good place to discuss the grills, gadgets and gizmos that help us practice our craft.

I‘ll start us off. For Christmas dinner I’ll be preparing a standing prime rib roast (approx. 8 lbs)! This morning I trimmed the meat and frenched the bones—quite pleased with the results for a first try.

I’ll be reverse searing the prime rib on my BGE. Might add a little pecan wood for some smoke, but overall a more roasting (as opposed to smoking) application. Wish me luck!

8774656C-DEEA-4481-ABE6-02C7A4520570.jpeg

Following up on the Christmas Day cook—overall, it was a success! There were a couple of perfect med-rare slices from the center of the roast. However, it was overall more medium than I would have liked. Next time I will do my initial pull a few degrees earlier and aim for rare in the middle. I think that will result in more med-rare throughout. I also forgot to tie up the roast with butchers twine, so it didn’t stay as round as I would have liked...

Really no harm, no foul in the end, as I was cooking for a more “well done” crowd anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️😂 As I said, overall a success: fun cook, good learning experience, and great eating!

Thanks for reading!

6E5CF86B-CD12-4220-946B-502C820D2AD7.jpeg

Looking good John. We had prime rib for Christmas as well. Cooked ours in the oven though. Posted in the What Ya Eatin thread.

First go with the sous vide thing last night. 3 12 oz. Sirloins at 132 for 2 hours.

After their bath and a pat dry
20191229_181639.jpg
After some cast iron love
20191229_182132.jpg
And the Money shot
20191229_183023.jpg

Servered up with a pile of carrots and a couple dinner rolls.

I've been thinking of getting a Traeger and learning to slow cook on that. But now you guys have me thinking of this. But I guess the Traeger won't take up space in the kitchen.

Did steaks in the sous vide tonight. I’ll rate this attempt a B. I used the settings on the app which cooked it at 133 degrees for medium for an hour. Took them out and they were RAW. Googled cooking temp charts and found they said 140 for medium. So put them back in at 140 for 50min. I’d say they ended up med-well but were nice and tasty. Guess the lesson was don’t use the temps on the app.

I did mine at 133 for a couple hours and they were great. Did you sear them after their bath?

I did mine at 133 for a couple hours and they were great. Did you sear them after their bath?
Yep, after the 2nd one. I was surprised at the 1 hour time as most videos I saw were 2-3.

I also did some salmon sous vide last night for the wife and some friends. Too much scrambling around to take an after shot, but I did get one prior to the bath. Just some olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon (zested and slices). Forty minutes at 123* followed by a quick sear in cast iron—it’s come out perfect four times in a row. Foolproof as far as I’m concerned. Highly recommend it.
2B9BA9EF-DB35-4CDF-B8AB-1F0FCE95E195.jpeg

Back