The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

Date: Tuesday November 3 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1815
Razor: SV / Koraat Leonardo Da Vinci 6/8 FBH
Brush: SV/TSC Artisan 2.0 LE / HMMW
Shave Soap: SV 70th
Aftershave: SV 70th
Talc: Borotalco
Alum: Proraso
Fragrance: SV 70th

Good shave overall with a tried and true product. The 70th EdP was really the star of the show. Initial Top notes are seemingly a bit different than the soap or AS, however after a few minutes it is exact, very strong and has the creamy vibe that 70th is known for. Colonia all the way, but perfection as well

Set-up:

vIZJ51W.jpg

Video:

04 November 2020
"Father's Tribute Shave"

Gillette Faboy (7) / Nacet (4)
Rubberset 400-4 / TGN Finest
Shulton Old Spice Shave Soap
Seaforth Spiced Aftershave Tonic
Shulton Old Spice Cologne

Long before my spouse and I were married as we have been for over 30-years now............ At 11:51 am on November 4th, 1930 two men were born at the exact same time. One in Johnstown, PA and one in Pigeon Roost, KY. They would both be 90 years old today. Sharon's Dad left us in 1989 at 59, and my father left us in 1978 at the age of 48. Both men, never knew each other however the parallels were on a spiritual level. Both served in the Armed Forces, both had an insatiable love for both the Pink Panther and Wyle E Coyote and the Roadrunner, and both were private pilots. We know they would have been fast friends. both also had a love for traditional ways and Traditional Shaving. Unfortunately I do not have much of my father's shaving stuff still around, but am able to give a tribute shave to them both with the vintage Fatboy, and Shulton Old Spice, that was Sharon's Fathers.
Rest in Peace and continued God Speed Jim (my dad) and Cecil (Sharon's dad)
This shave is for you both. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gents

Fo5nGSw.jpg

Date: Thursday November 5 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1816
Razor: Wade Butcher 5/8
Brush: Paladin Cleo in Jade
Shave Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Proraso Green
Talc: Proraso
Fragrance: None

Date: Friday November 6,2020 Straight Razor Shave #1817
Razor: Vorpal 11/16
Brush: Paladin Neptune
Shave Soap: A&E Kaizen
Aftershave: A&E Kaizen
Fragrance: Creed Neroli Sauvage EdP

Date: Saturday November 7th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1818
Razor: BRW 5/8
Brush: Sorrentino TSC 1st Annv
Shave Soap: Seaforth Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth Heather
Talc: Penhaligon's English Fern
Fragrance: Penhaligon's English Fern EdT

Date: Sunday November 8th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1819
Razor: JP Alcamisi General Badoglio 6/8 Full Hollow
Brush: Sorrentino GID Barzini / Cashmere Synth.
Shave Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Talc: Proraso Eucalyptus, Rosemary & Mint
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Savoy Steam EdC

Nice 3-pass DSBBS shave today with a favorite when the weather starts turning a bit cool, a 'High Mountain' type of shave with good fragrance notes throughout.
Set-up:
K50alhN.jpg

Video:

Date: Monday November 9th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1819 (Holding) SE Shave Today
Razor: Blackland Vector / Feather Pro-guard (1)
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica / HMMW
Shave Soap: Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Fragrance: Crabtree & Evelyn Extract of Mysore Sandalwood

Nice shave today with a bit of complacent exuberance and speed. Fall weather has moved in and the high today barely got into the 50's. With that the Oudalicious wonder that is Tundra Artica is back in the rotation for the season. It is a rare bird, when you get top notes of wood, rather than the normal place of 'base' in the fragrance pecking order. The typical "barnyardiness" of this Agar, was tempered with some Tangerine, and cedar. It is followed up on the journey with Damascen Rose and Patchouli. Rounded out with Amber , Sandalwood and Leather. Perfect for a cold day and the SOS of the Soap is only enhanced by the Aftershave. 3-passes today with a small trainwreck on the base of the lip, as I tried to speed things along. I know better, especially with a brand new Feather blade. Still DSBBS overall and sadly the unobtanium that is C&E's Mysore Extract only has a few more uses, but arguably the absolute best sandalwood that has ever made it into a fragrance. This one hails from the 1980's and at that time was a costly $35, and now.... If you can find it sells north of $500 and more. I have only see 1 or 2 on the secondary market, but at those prices, this will probably be my last couple of uses. Simply stated the new stuff from Crabtree is Junk.

Set-up:

j4IJEAT.jpg

and the trainwreck video from today's shave.

Last edited:
Date: Tuesday November 10th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1819 (Holding) DE Shave Today
Razor: Blackland Tradere / Nacet (1)
Brush: Paladin PK-47 Jade / Select Badger
Shave Soap: Ethos Grooming Greenfresh
Aftershave: Ethos Grooming Greenfresh Skin Food Splash
Fragrance: Floris 1962

Was looking forward to this shave and product since it's announcement Lemongrass & Spearmint.. Are you kidding me! It delivered as promised and then some considering there is a whole bunch more going on here. As was expected the lather and all the component parts were typical of Ethos, but the fragrance, oh, that fragrance. To my nose the initial hit was very strong lemongrass with a bit less of a hit of spearmint leaves. In the back the tell-tale smell of Wrigley's Spearmint gum. As lather commenced more of the spearmint leaves balanced the lemongrass and the Wrigley's stayed in the background. To my surprise a very grassy, fresh cut variety scent began to come through reminiscent of SCS Fairway. Truly wonderful. This was maintained throughout the shave and well into post shave. The skin food splash was a bit more spearmint forward, but the lemongrass was never too far away and the 'Golf Course Grass played into this as well, and was the cherry on the top. If you liked SCS fairway (didn't everyone?), and the added notes of Spearmint leaves, Spearmint, and Lemongrass, then just hit the buy button you will not be disappointed. The Tradere with the Nacet running shotgun did a great job even running over yesterday's speedbump for DSBBS. The Floris EdP was the perfect finish with it's opening of Bergamot, Green Mandarin, Clove, and Spearmint drying down to enhance the Greenfresh with more spearmint, cypress, cedar, musk, amber jasmine and Basil, along with some other goodness. Darn near a perfect shave journey today

Set-up:

uf9D7wk.jpg
Today's Video

Shaves this week:
Wed-Ethos Greenfresh
Thurs- Dragonsbeard V2
Fri: Ethos Greenfresh

all DE. Tradere or Feather.

aftershaves to match soaps and fragrance on Greenfresh days. Floris 1962

hope all is well with everyone

11/17/2020 - 11/21/2020
Razors: Blackland Tradere, Vector, Blackbird Ti, Feather ASD2
Brushes: Sorrentino / Paladin / Semogue
Soaps: Fine:
American Blend
Italian Citrus
Platinum
Orange Noir
Fresh Vetiver

Matching aftershaves.
All great shaves and a tribute to the Fine soaps, since they are going by way of the Dodo. These are great performers, however almost too linear in the experience. They are truly good homages to the fragrances they mimic. Always good shave with these.

Date: Sunday November 22th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1819 (Holding) DE Shave Today
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Ti / Nacet
Brush: TSC 2nd Annv. / Amack Blue Synth
Shave Soap: TSC Clown Puke
Aftershave: Reuzel Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Bleu De Chanel

Great shave and the Ti was superb. As were all the other cast of characters.

0MUPIaP.jpg

Date: Monday November 23th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1819 (Holding) SE Shave Today
Razor: Caerbannog 3d Printed Razor / Injector
Shave Soap: CBL Orion
Aftershave: CBL California Sunrise post shave oil / Aftershave Tonic
Fragrance: N/A

Good Softeware and a fun razor.

dEtL95k.jpg

Date: Tuesday November 24th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1820
Razor: Filarmonica 13 JMP Doble Temple / Full Hollow
Brush: Shsvemac Colonia No 1 / two-band silvertip
Shave Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville
Aftershave: Omega Aquae Aftershave Serum
Fragrance: Royall Musk Cologne

A little jaunt to Spain, England, Bermuda, and Italy today. Finally back to a Straight Razor shave, after a small DE/SE hiatus for the week. The Fili s just such a great razor to shave with. smooth, light and wonderful. Top that with the rest of the characters and today's shave was truly "international"

3-passes and DSBBS. The Omega Serum is great for the skin, light in fragrance and the Royall Musk Vasilli's were a nice finish

Set-up:

LHbLmSa.jpg

Back