The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

Date: Monday October 12th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1800
Razor: Koraat / SV 6/8 FBH Leonardo da Vinci
Brush: TSC / SV Artisan 2.0 LE / HMMW
Shave Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Talc: Proraso
Alum: Proraso
Fragrance: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe

Narrative:
Well it finally arrived #1800 straight razor shaves What would have been about 4.9 yrs took me about 6 circles around the calendar overall, what with DE, SE, and non-shave days, although not many, ir was finally here. With 2020 being what it is, and as Karma would have, I had a nice touchdown that bled through passes 1-2, and three before finally having enough alum on it to stop. Even post shave it decided to "Strawberry Fields Forever" for a bit. It is a good lesson learned as an SR can grab you at anytime, any level of experience or most time when you are looking ahead instead of keeping your focus, as was the case today.

Thankfully it was the only hiccup in a great shave. I thanked most everyone in the accompanying video whom have been with me since the beginning of the SR journey. Looking forward to another 1800 and beyond Big thanks to Chimench and his 30th anniversary video, as without that @The Monkey , @uacowboy , and a trip to Tombstone and an antique store it would have never happened. Also a Big thanks to Alfredo Gill for his tutelage in Honing, as well as @CBLindsay for getting me hooked on Coticules and assisting in letting my Shaptons collect dust LOL. A big thanks to all the TSC folks that comment and follow this rag. Recently some may think that we make rash decisions in our Management and Administration of this sight and it's members, BUT KNOW THIS..... MY partners @CBLindsay and @CVargo do not do ANYTHING without thinking of the Members protection, enjoyment, and the environmental health of this forum NO decisions are made without 100% agreement from us three, and after sometimes months and months of deliberation. I say this on this 1800th anniversary to make sure your guys / gals know we are always thinking of you and the forum, and to also give special thanks to these two Hooligans ( @CVargo @CBLindsay ) for following this old man who had idea we could have a FREE forum such as this. They are truly Family. THANK YOU CHAD & CHRIS.

Anyway 3-passes today BBS only today due to blood, but after the alum, a good splash of Cubebe, a blizzard of Proraso Talc and probably too many Vassili's of Cubebe Eau de Parfum it was a great day to look back how far I have come so far in my Straight Razor Journey

Set-up:

hlChkGt.jpg

Video:

Date: Tuesday October 13th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1800 on Hold DE Shave today
Razor: Feather ASD2 / Personna Super
Brush: Sorrrentino BrushWorks TSC Anniversary / 2 band Silvertip
Shave Soap: Seaforth Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth Heather Toner
Talc: Nil
Alum: Nil
Fragrance: Nil

Initial impressions ( more in Video ) of Seaforth Heather -GREAT STUFF and if you love either English Fern, or Royal Fougere, Just open your wallet (y)(y):geek:

Set-up and Video

eTE9wJ8.jpg

Video:

My apologies to all on keeping up with your journals will try to get as caught up as I can soon

How would you rate Seaforth soap as compared to CBL or LNHC? Is it comparable?
Hi Bruce, Going to use it for the rest of the week to give it a good shake down and then make the comparisons and review, thanks
What is this Nil crap here? What? Are we playing European football now? 🤪
Donald:
Bloody well right I am and it is Brilliant huh? HEHE

Date: Wednesday October 14th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1800 on Hold DE Shave today
Razor: Feather ASD2 / Nacet (1)
Talc: Penhaligon's English Fern
Fragrance: Penhaligon's English Fern EdT

2nd day with the Seaforth Heather, and the addition of English Fern by Penhaligon's, and all the other accountrments of my regular shave such as Alum, talc and fragrance. As to comparisons to soaps, a review and so fort, as stated in my video, I am going to shave with bvth "Flavors:" before those determinations.

Today's shave, not based on performance, or any other specific factor, if nothing else because of my fondness....ok downright love of fougeres, especially English Fern, made this about as close to a "PERFECT" shave as one can be, minus a straight razor. All the chast of characters aligned today to work in perfect unison to make this one for the books, which in my shave world, as most of you know is not easy. Performance and other factors be damned today, just pure Fougere perfection.

The soap continues to impress as we get aquainted with the right lathering and water ratios, but two things stand out at the onset.
1. Lathers Super Easy
2. I have ammended the S.O.S of this to a 4.5-5.0 for sure, not to mention the post shave S.O.S. being quite strong as well.
3. Post shave slickness without water is very nice as well for a non-water assisted clean-up

The Aftershave Toner, is most comparible to CBL's new products, although not having all the facial protection properties. It also shares the "aftershave milk" status and it quite a bit thinner and requires a few applications to get the right feel, but again the S.O.S is very strong and can be used as and Aftershave and Vassili'd for a frag as well.

The closeness to English Fern is such that a very applicable replacement to it could be found here, if this also does not go by way of the Dinosaurs.

Overall a 3-pass Feather Shave. The Nacet is working similar to the Voskhod, and not quite as aggressive as the Personna. DSBBS for sure and just a wonderful morning experience.

Looking forward to the "Spiced" tomorrow!
@Spider , @mrdoug @dkeester

Set-Up:

fcimrpz.jpg

Thanks For reading.

Date: Wednesday October 14th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1800 on Hold DE Shave today
Razor: Feather ASD2 / Nacet (1)
Fragrance: Penhaligon's English Fern EdT

2nd day with the Seaforth Heather, and the addition of English Fern by Penhaligon's, and all the other accountrments of my regular shave such as Alum, talc and fragrance. As to comparisons to soaps, a review and so fort, as stated in my video, I am going to shave with bvth "Flavors:" before those determinations.

Today's shave, not based on performance, or any other specific factor, if nothing else because of my fondness....ok downright love of fougeres, especially English Fern, made this about as close to a "PERFECT" shave as one can be, minus a straight razor. All the chast of characters aligned today to work in perfect unison to make this one for the books, which in my shave world, as most of you know is not easy. Performance and other factors be damned today, just pure Fougere perfection.

The soap continues to impress as we get aquainted with the right lathering and water ratios, but two things stand out at the onset.
1. Lathers Super Easy
2. I have ammended the S.O.S of this to a 4.5-5.0 for sure, not to mention the post shave S.O.S. being quite strong as well.
3. Post shave slickness without water is very nice as well for a non-water assisted clean-up

The Aftershave Toner, is most comparible to CBL's new products, although not having all the facial protection properties. It also shares the "aftershave milk" status and it quite a bit thinner and requires a few applications to get the right feel, but again the S.O.S is very strong and can be used as and Aftershave and Vassili'd for a frag as well.

The closeness to English Fern is such that a very applicable replacement to it could be found here, if this also does not go by way of the Dinosaurs.

Overall a 3-pass Feather Shave. The Nacet is working similar to the Voskhod, and not quite as aggressive as the Personna. DSBBS for sure and just a wonderful morning experience.

Looking forward to the "Spiced" tomorrow!
@Spider , @mrdoug @dkeester

Set-Up:

fcimrpz.jpg

Thanks For reading.
Excellent review Dave! Now I wish I owned Penhalgion's English Fern EdP, one for the list. I couldn't agree more on the long lasting scent and the latherability of this one. I need to make an order of the spice when it comes back in stock, I'm sure you'll provide a fair assessment of it's scent as well. I must also comment on that beautiful brush, it looks phenomenal and matches the shave beautifully, Gray Dog brush?

Date: Thursday October 15th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1800 on Hold DE Shave today
Razor: Gillette RedTip Superspeed / Astra SP (2)
Brush: Semogue 620 / 2 band Boar
Shave Soap: Seaforth Spiced
Aftershave: Seaforth Spiced Toner
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Elixir EdT

From a performance standpoint, SOS standpoint, Shaving with Seaforth spiced is almost an identical shave as yesterday. I would however indicate the SOS on the spiced version is even a little bit more, right at 5.0. All other aspects of this shaving soap are identical to Heather. Easily lathered with the Semogue 620 boar. Today I floated just a small bit of water on top of the puck and it did help a bit as to hydration on the final lather but this soap will take on a ton of water to get perfect. Super slick and residual without water is fantastic as well although I would prefer to do clean up with this one with water. The fragrance stays strong Throughout the entire Shave. Post shave is just as good as the previous days shave. As mentioned in other reviews spiced is somewhat of a misnomer it comes on very strong with Mandarin very light with cinnamon very light with the clove but a wonderful scent. More of a fall weather sent however with the Mandarin can be at any time. A very rich deep scent , something you want to wear when you’re dressing up on your Sunday best. Penhaligon’s Elixir is the perfect match up for this aftershave.

Set-up:EDA94A3D-7C63-48CD-8304-49FC26E7BDD3.jpeg

Date: 10.7.2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1797
Razor: CV Heljestrand #8 4/8
Brush: Fine C40 /Angel Hair synthetic
Shave Soap: Fine Italian Citrus
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus
Fragrance: Fine Italian Citrus

A nice Quick and Easy shave today with the Heljestrand, that I acquired from @cmh737 quite some time ago, A great little Speedster for around the face. The fine Italian Citrus is a classic and always provides a great medium for the resulting shave. 3-passes, DSBBS, and a splash of the AS and a few Vasilli's of the same for the frag and off to shave some faces and cuts some hair

Set-up

Hn79wje.jpg

Have a Great Day
Alfredo did an awesome job with those scales!

Date: Friday October 16th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1801
Razor: Brown Razor Works 5/8 Ghost Jade
Brush: Paladin PK-46 Jade / Select Badger
Fragrance: Ralph Loren Vintage Polo Green EdT

Been Shaving with the Seaforth products now for the full work week and not much else to comment on other than the performance, fragrance, SOS and overall shaves with both the Heather and Spiced have been stellar. Today was a big test for the soap to see how it handled a straight, and with a bit more water it became perfectly slickery for the BRW to skate around on. Avoided the Murphy residual from last week and ended up with a very nice 3- pass DSBBS shave. Great all around soap and fragrance. The Pen's Talc was again a perfect addition. Wanted to stretch Seaforth's legs a bit and see what else it paired well with, so.... an 80's "super power frags" as they were called, and in the same breath as Drakkar Noir, Bill Blass, Pierre Cardin, Jovan Musk Hai Karate and more. The Polo Green Vasilli's have to be very sparing as this stuff is "Nuclear" in scent strength and Longevity. A lovely Fougere, however put too much on and as you walk under trees, birds fall out,

Great shave today!

Set-up:

M9kaYwj.jpg

Date: Saturday October 17th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1802
Razor: Wustof Tridente 6/8
Brush: Morris & Frondran Apolina / 2-Band Super Badger
Shave Soap: Seaforth Spiced
Aftershave: Seaforth Spiced
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Endymion Concentre EdT

Another great straight shave with Seaforth and a new character on the shave parade in the M&F. With just a bit more water the soap became perfect for a straight razor and the weekof trials for this soap are complete and this is a winner in both the Heather and this one, Spiced. Not quite Elite status but Tier 1 all the way and one you should consider having in your den. Full written and video review of both soon.

Today, a 3-pass DSBBS shave.

Set-up:

58ZrYcU.jpg

Date: Saturday October 18th, 2020 / Straight Razor Shave #1802 ( on hold SE Shave today)
Razor: Blackland Vector/ Feather pro-guard
Brush: CBL Butterscotch Barber / Amack Synth
Shave Soap: CBL Orion Base California Sunrise
Aftershave: CBL post Shave Oil . CBL California Sunrise Aftershave Tonic
Fragrance: Duke Cannon Randolph EdP

What a tremendous shave! Been waiting for the production version of this for awhile now and it is very exciting to see this happen. I had mentioned during the beta testing that this was to be a Game Changer and supercedes the performance of the former top soap "Sebum Aqua" in the den So much to say about this new base from CBL. Great 3-pass DSBBS shave from the Vector today. more in the Video below:

Set-Up:

wi6vIdI.jpg

Video:

Back