The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BarberDave's Shaveapalooza

That's really cool, Dave. I didn't think it possible to 3D print an injector. Now we need printed razors for AC blades!
While i cannot take credit for more than the time to print this one. i have had some thoughts before of attempting something for an AC blade

Date: Wednesday November 25th 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1820 and holding
Razor: Blackland Tradere / Nacet
Brush: Paladin Neptune Cleo / Select Badger
Shave Soap: Captain's Choice North
Aftershave: Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin
Alum: Proraso
Talc: Proraso
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Juniper Sling

Gin & tonic in a shave and juniper galore. One of my favorite set ups, that can't leave you but smiling through the day. A quick shave with the Tradere before spending tha last day at the shop before the Holiday. 3 passes and DSBBS. A splash of the Gent's Gin followed by a much more refined Juniper sling and it is like you got mugged by a refreshing 7-up monster without the sweetness. Perfection

Set-up

PszhTfg.jpg

Date: Thursday November 26, 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1820 and holding
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Ti / Nacet
Brush: Matt DeRuiter Carbon Fibre F1 / HMMW
Shave Soap: Seaforth Spiced
Aftershave: Seaforth Spiced
Fragrance: Vintage Shulton Old Spice Cologne

Happy Thanksgiving.

A nice cornucopia shave today with all the right spices for the holiday, with Mandarin, Clove, Vanilla Tonka and more, it was perfect for today. Continuing the Air trials with the Blackbird Ti, and it si still quite an aggressive razor. Gave be two little weepers today, but it was the pilots fault not the razor. All other characters were perfect in execution and the Soap is just devine, as is the aftershave, and the star of the show was the Old Spice Cologne of course.

3-passes BBS of the DS variety and a good start to the holiday

Set-up:

TF65U33.jpg

Date: Friday November 27 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1820 and holding
Razor: Gillette Fatboy / Nacet
Brush: Rubberset 400-4 / TGN Finest
Shave Soap: Williams Mug
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Talc: Mennen Shave
Fragrance: Cremo Blue Cedar and Cypress

Nice "Old School" shave today with tried and true products 3 quick passes, DSBBS, Alum, AV to finish it off, some talc, a few Vasilli's of the Cremo and ready to have our Turkey day today

Set-up:

Rvh3Svi.jpg

Video:

Have a Great Friday Folks

Date: Saturday November 28, 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1820 and holding
Razor: Gillette Aristorcrat Bristish #15 OC / King Gillette
Brush: Morris & Forndran Apolina / Sabini Super Badger
Shave Soap: Floris No 89
Aftershave: Floris No 89
Fragrance: Floris No 89

29 Degrees to start the day as I headed to the shop at 0-dark thirty, so something to pick me up and a bit of warming for a cold morning. The Floris fit the bill, with enough citrus to wake you up and the warming with some nutmeg, sandalwood, vetiver and musk. Purely British and Purely fantastic.

3-passes with the Crat, and the King Gillette Blade is holding up better than expected, I think there must be at least 7 shaves on it. Someone wrote in their journal about doign a two-pass shave ATG / XTG and getting good results, so I tired in on 1/2 the mug and it worked pretty well and still gave a DSBBS shave. Tomorrow we try with an SR to see how that goes. Anyway, good shave today.

Set-up:

Pepc6T0.jpg

Date: SundayNovember 29, 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1821
Razor: Dorko 1151 6/8
Brush: Sorrentino BrushWorks Corleson / 2-Band Synth
Shave Soap: CBL Ghost Dragon's Blood
Aftershave: Nivea 2 in 1
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Elixir EdT

Nice Gothic, Zoom call inspired shave today by @Spider . Dont get a chance to use this much except for fall and winter ( which is relative here ) as in warm temps this has a tendency to be a bit cloying. However, when conditions are perfect, then it is a perfect shave.

Today's was a bit of an experiment. A TSC member ( and I have forgotten who, sorry ) about doing a 2-pass XTG/ATG shave rather that 3, skipping the WTG all together. I found the comments interesting as this flies in the face of convention both in regular personal wet shaving, and extremely so in doing a barber/client shave. Yesterday I tried one half of the face that way with a de, and the results were nominal, so today full speed ahead with a straight to see if a DSBBS shave could be mustered with only two-passes. I go into more detail in my video, but needless to say Success!

As to the cast of characters..... Well the Dorko is my grail, and all the other players are dark, rich and wonderful. The soap has such a rich, intense vibe, with nice cooling as a surprise. Pairs perfectly with the Elixir to give that Cathedral vibe and perfect for a "Holy Day" shave. Full on DSBBS with some cleanup. More experimentation needed. The only sad part is that it shortens the experience, but on a busy work day it may be just the ticket.
@CBLindsay , @CBLSoap.com

Set-up:

mZ1gpld.jpg

Quite gothic indeed. Definitely OLD cathedral if not gothic.
I’ve done the 2 pass shave you speak of and have had both phenomenal success and failure depending on the gear and the state of facial grace from which I started. Starting with a multi day growth I get fantastic results with a straight razor but with a DE I have to be very careful which DE and blade or I am doomed to live out a week long neck irritation. If I’m starting from a 24hr growth I get good enough results either way but the stubble later in the day is oddly patchy and shaving the next day is like I am cleaning up after a bad shave. I guess I’ll say the 2 pass shave works for me and can even yield a great result but isn’t conducive to long term happiness.

Date: Monday November 30, 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1822
Razor: Koraat Ice Dragon 6/8 FBH
Brush: WSP Honeycomb / 2-Band SilverTip
Shave Soap: TOBS St. James Luxury Shave Cream
Aftershave: TOBS St. James Luxury Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: TOB St. James Luxury Cologne

Another 2-pass straight shave. One thing I noticed is that stubble was much quicker to return, so good news, bad news. Good news more shave, bad new less time as DSBBS, so it seems to be a trade off for me. Good shaves, of course, saves time, absolutely, but takes part of the routine away and does have some shortening effect on the shave. Again not bad. I think I will stick to 3-passes but it was a fun experiment.

Today an oldie, and a partial goodie. Inexpensive and Tier -3 at best IMHO, TOB creams are basic and OK. For me they provide a good shave, just nothing to go nuts over. Of all of them the "St. James Luxury" is the only one I have kept, mainly due to the scent. I would call today's 2-pass shave a DSBBS -, and rate it as a good shave.

Set-up:

11.30.2020.jpg

I noticed @BarberDave likes talc. So I will share my Vaudevillian talc joke. Brace yourself.

A man walks into a department store and asks for some talcum powder.
The store clerk replies, “Of course, Sir, just walk this way.”
The man remarks, “If I could walk that way I wouldn’t need any talcum powder.”
bwahahahahaha, so good to have you back Tony!!!

Date: Tuesday December 1, 2020 Straight Razor Shave #1822 ( on Hold ) DE Today
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Titanium / Nacet
Brush: Sorrentino BrushWorks TSC Anniversary / 2-Band SilverTip
Shave Soap: Ethos Grooming Greenfresh
Aftershave: Ethos Grooming Greenfresh Skin Food Splash
Talc: Mennen
Fragrance: Floris 1962 Eau de Parfum

Back to 3-passes today and this shave ranks right up there with the best of them. Very quickly, Greenfresh is becoming a favorite. It hits all the marks for me, performance, post shave, in-shave, Glide, slickness, blah, blah, blah. Most importantly is the scent. I am a HUGE fan of Aventus, Pen's English Fern, Juniper Sling, however the Floris line is really giving them a run for the money and the "1962" EdP is kicking most of them out of the way. Why it is important to this shave is how well it pairs with the Greenfresh. The Cucumber, Lemongrass and Spearmint, create a spinning galaxy of goodness when the Spearmint, Jasmine, Cypress, and woods spin together. Refreshing for summer, but equally warm for a fall or winter usage. The skin food is wonderful as well. All this together from a scent profile ranks this up in the top 5 easy for total shave set ups. Add a Sorrentino Brush to the mix, and it is damn near perfection

The Blackbird Ti., is still getting test flown to get angles correct, more aggressive than initially perceived, however a wonderful razor to shave with as are all the Blackland offerings. So , today's shave was back to 3- passes no whammys, a nice splash of the skin food and a obscene amount of Vasilli's of the 1962, and DSBBS not quite a Grail rating , but pretty darn close.

Have a nice Tuesday.

Set-up:

CdZr0TW.jpg

Back