The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Anything that can go wrong... Will happen while I'm Shaving

Anything that can go wrong will happen while I'm Shaving...

I thought maybe I should ask to change that pessimistic title, but I balked. Now I can say for sure it's a good title.

My shave last night was good, DFS+. The soap worked very well. Still, I was freezing, as I stupidly chose Soap Commander Vision with the mint (menthol) in it. It was a bit chilly (not glacial cold. But it adds something I didn't need at the end of autumn).

I also used the Trafalgar T2, which hold enough lather for 2 good passes and a subpar third. I'm learning, with every use, to hate this brush more and more. Lol.

Finally, when I took the AS balm out of the cabinet I bumped the Alum stick right off the shelf and into the toilet. There's $6 down the drain (close to literally).
giphy.gif

nothing wrong with a little menthol, regardless of the time of year! bummer on the lather and alum though.

nothing wrong with a little menthol, regardless of the time of year! bummer on the lather and alum though.
Eeh, I should have known better.

Aren't you out in Nevada or Arizona? It's a different world in NY (22° right now).

Eeh, I should have known better.

Aren't you out in Nevada or Arizona? It's a different world in NY (22° right now).
well yeah but unless you let your bathroom get that cold i don't see the problem! 😁

Saturday, December 19, 2020

PRE: Stirling Glacial Bar Soap
SOAP: Proraso Red Cream
RZR: Henson Ti-22 (Medium)
BLD: Gillette Nacet (#1)

¾ (4.75/5)

I balk at giving a 5 out of 5, but this was dang close. It was smooth, effective, and close. One tiny spot wasn't quite BBS, but otherwise it was an amazing and close shave (superior to DFS+ IMO). It's hard to judge a razor on one use, but this was a great first outing.

In my PMs with one of the guys at Henson, I was told this might be a bit closer cutting (tolerances?) and smoother than the Aluminum. I can say that feels true with this shave. I hope every shave is as good as this one, because I think I officially have the 'one razor for me'.

Color me impressed! Now it's time to count the hours until my next shave.

Happy Saturday Cadre!
36f90447df7693e63588ac40df047573.jpg

I’m glad you finally got it! It certainly feels closer than the Al. After 15(?) or so shaves with the Ti, I hate to say it, but I think prefer the Al (blasphemy!). However, the Ti is way better for me than just about any other razor so it’s nice to have a little Henson collection started, that I will use. I look forward to purchasing more Henson’s in different materials in the hopefully not so distant future 👍👍👍

I’m glad you finally got it! It certainly feels closer than the Al. After 15(?) or so shaves with the Ti, I hate to say it, but I think prefer the Al (blasphemy!). However, the Ti is way better for me than just about any other razor so it’s nice to have a little Henson collection started, that I will use. I look forward to purchasing more Henson’s in different materials in the hopefully not so distant future
Wow, that's surprising. I guess we'll see how I feel after a few more shaves. So far, I really enjoyed the Titanium. It's a very close comparison, though... And obviously, being only shave #1, it's a poor review. Need more time to know for sure.

In preparation for the Titanium I cleaned out my cabinet to only include three razors... The two Hensons and my Gamechanger 68. That's plenty of selection for me. What I like, without the complexity.

Shave #2 with the Titanium is officially in the books. This one was rough, especially compared the first shave, but still VERY close. I truly think the same Medium setting in the Titanium kicks it ups notch (from the Aluminum). A lot less cleanup and I still get DFS+ results.

I also used a new soap, so that's an unknown I should have avoided until I had the razor fully "vetted" . I'll know better tomorrow when I stick to the 'usual suspects'.

That being said, I know I have a ways to go to being "proficient" with this razor. So, the review is still out (but that first shave gives me immense hope!).

Have a great day Cadre!

Shave #2 with the Titanium is officially in the books. This one was rough, especially compared the first shave, but still VERY close. I truly think the same Medium setting in the Titanium kicks it ups notch (from the Aluminum). A lot less cleanup and I still get DFS+ results.

I also used a new soap, so that's an unknown I should have avoided until I had the razor fully "vetted" . I'll know better tomorrow when I stick to the 'usual suspects'.

That being said, I know I have a ways to go to being "proficient" with this razor. So, the review is still out (but that first shave gives me immense hope!).

Have a great day Cadre!
I feel the same way. It’s almost like the Henson performs better the lighter it is. The Ti is good, don’t get me wrong, but it edges on feeling like a standard, expensive, exclusive, fancy pants razor like most of the guys use .... the Al, just works and has its underdog appeal..... and this is coming from a guy who despised Al razors for years. I like to press down ever so lightly on any razor, so the Al was ok to do that with - the Ti.... I have to constantly remind myself to let up. Getting great shaves though 🤷‍♂️ Still using the Ti without a break since I got it, but will probably hop back to the Al after Christmas. May the force be with you (insert lightsaber emoji)

I feel the same way. It’s almost like the Henson performs better the lighter it is. The Ti is good, don’t get me wrong, but it edges on feeling like a standard, expensive, exclusive, fancy pants razor like most of the guys use .... the Al, just works and has its underdog appeal..... and this is coming from a guy who despised Al razors for years. I like to press down ever so lightly on any razor, so the Al was ok to do that with - the Ti.... I have to constantly remind myself to let up. Getting great shaves though Still using the Ti without a break since I got it, but will probably hop back to the Al after Christmas. May the force be with you (insert lightsaber emoji)
I hear ya, and I would absolutely do the same if this isn't as good. However, I do like the potential for less cleanup work, if I can control the Ti well enough.

Also, the metal allows for it to be a forever razor. Chatting with the guy at Hensons, he said he'd imagine the Aluminum would last 10-20 years, depending on care. I'm 44, so that's definitely not forever for me... unless I plan to die young. Lol.

Worst case scenario, it's too much for me and I have to sell it to buy 2 or 3 more aluminum backups. Either way, it'll work out.

Back