The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Anything that can go wrong... Will happen while I'm Shaving

mrdoug

"TSC's Shave Sales Deal Finder"
Thursday, July 29, 2020

PR: Stirling Mentholated Pre-shave Soap
SO: Stirling Barbershop
RZ: Razorock Gamechanger 84
BL: Personna Comfort (#2)
PO: Alum Stick
PO: Stirling Glacial Unscented Balm
TA: King Talc

NOTES: Face lather (loaded from a bowl).

So I've fought the urge to do a journal for a while. I shave every other day... I'm still new-ish to traditional shaving (2.5 years?)... I end up with poor results too often (who needs to read depressing news here?). Still, for myself and my own understanding, I've decided I needed to keep something. I looked for a logging app so I could spare you folks the "drama", but nothing really caught my eye. Nonetheless, if you have an idea, this is post 1... We can still stop here and spare you folks. Lol.

My last shave (#1) with the personna was awesome. This one was ok, but the irritation was pretty high. I believe last time I used a vegan soap by Hendrix, which I've always thought of as middle of the road... No awards, no regrets. Here, with Stirling (which should be better) I got a much worse shave. Fwiw, I did start trying my hand at dipping my razor in 70% alcohol to prevent any build-up on the razor. The jury is still out on that, but I know my water has some penchant to be hard and I don't need calcification on my blade edge diminishing it further? I dunno, I'm taking wild shots here at what is what.

I think **think** despite my fighting it, I need to (try to) start showering before my shaves. That's the biggest difference I can think of. Kinda pushes my shave to later in the night, but so be it.

Thanks for putting up with this folks. But seriously, do submit your suggestions for a shave journal app, so you can get rid of me.

Didn't you know Cadre is another word for Brothers in Misery?
I dont see that definition, my dictionary must be old (or just too upbeat, lol).

This one scares me, though...

"a group of activists in a communist or other revolutionary organization."

Maybe they need to change the username for TSC owners to "Joseph McCarthy" ? 🤪

I use a journalling app so I can basically run reports at the end of the year as to which razor and blade I used how many times. Also so that the record of my shaves isn’t housed in just one place on the interweb. I can’t tell you what it is though because I don’t want you leaving the TSC journals ;)

I have the same difference if I don’t shower first. Though finding my perfect razor and blade combos has started. My suggestion would be looking for a preshave routine that does the same thing to your whiskers as a shower. Maybe the lather and then apply a hot towel technique? Or lather and let it sit while you do other things. I’ve tried that one and haven’t seen much difference.

I use a journalling app so I can basically run reports at the end of the year as to which razor and blade I used how many times. Also so that the record of my shaves isn’t housed in just one place on the interweb. I can’t tell you what it is though because I don’t want you leaving the TSC journals ;)

I have the same difference if I don’t shower first. Though finding my perfect razor and blade combos has started. My suggestion would be looking for a preshave routine that does the same thing to your whiskers as a shower. Maybe the lather and then apply a hot towel technique? Or lather and let it sit while you do other things. I’ve tried that one and haven’t seen much difference.
That's not a bad idea. First, I'm going to have to do a series of Pre-shave showers to make sure that's what really made it work Tuesday as compared to Yesterday. Thanks @NurseDave .

I also should lock down the soap for a few shaves, to be certain that isn't the culprit. However that is tough because I really like variety in soaps. Besides, I'm a ginger, with freckles... EVERYTHING irritates my skin (sun, wind speed, standing in the same room as boss for too long... Lol).

Time will tell...

I also should lock down the soap for a few shaves, to be certain that isn't the culprit.
That's a thought, Paul. Personally, I use the same soap till it's gone. For instance, I'm using Mike's Natural Soap now. The first couple of shaves my lather was so-so, but I stuck with it and the lather improved to an acceptable quality. Now the lather is great, since I've got the soap dialed in. A good rule of thumb is to change one variable at a time; advice you've probably heard before. It's a process I return to when I have subpar shaves.

Please continue to share your experiences here, Paul. We can all learn from one another. (y)

That's a thought, Paul. Personally, I use the same soap till it's gone. For instance, I'm using Mike's Natural Soap now. The first couple of shaves my lather was so-so, but I stuck with it and the lather improved to an acceptable quality. Now the lather is great, since I've got the soap dialed in. A good rule of thumb is to change one variable at a time; advice you've probably heard before. It's a process I return to when I have subpar shaves.

Please continue to share your experiences here, Paul. We can all learn from one another. (y)

Thanks @Graybeard57 for the kind words.

" We can all learn from one another" ... Maybe if they treat this journal as a cautionary tale.

I'll definitely try to keep this up, though. Hopefully I'll make better progress as my memory certainly isn't what it used to be (or, maybe 'isn't what it never was'?).

Nice first entry, Paul...I think? :ROFLMAO: I absolutely agree with Bruce. One thing at a time. You'll get the hang of it and have stellar shaves before you know it.

Back