The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

Which one smells better?
Interesting question, Sam. While they are similar to one another, each is unique. I've done my research on this, and can speak with confidence on this matter. It depends on the Unscent source. Readers will be interested to know that the finest grade Unscent comes from a secret, private source in Texas. They sell to only the most discerning soapmakers, and it's not cheap. The most common Unscent comes from Kazakistan, where it is plentiful and inexpensive. There are others sources scattered about the world, though those mostly only serve their region. With Texas, Kazakistan, and the regional Unscent mines, worldwide demand (which is rising) is sufficiently met.

Thanks for asking.

I have Kazak friends and they confirm your understanding of the abundance of Unscent. (y) Wild Unscent is ever so slightly different than what they grow in their garden pots.
That's fascinating. The source of Unscent is Unscented flowers of course. Private growers are able to produce enough Unscent nectar for personal use, such as your Kazak friends. Deep deposits of Unscent come from flowers which grew millions of years ago. Scientists surmise the deposits mined today are the result of fields of Unscented flowers which died off naturally (they are annuals), were buried over time, and were subjected to intense underground pressures which produced the pools and seams of Unscent. The Unscent that is mined today is almost crystalline in appearance, much like diamonds, but actually dissolves when saponified in soap mixtures. :)

• Noble Otter Bare (Unscented) (1)
  • Maggard tuxedo 24mm synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Kai (6)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
Using the Noble Otter today has reminded me why I enjoy this soap so much. The Unscent in Bare is otherworldly. Combining the finest grade Unscent with a rich, creamy, slick, and cushioning base, N.O. has produced a winner and my personal favorite.
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. :)

Last edited:
That's fascinating. The source of Unscent is Unscented flowers of course. Private growers are able to produce enough Unscent nectar for personal use, such as your Kazak friends. Deep deposits of Unscent come from flowers which grew millions of years ago. Scientists surmise the deposits mined today are the result of fields of Unscented flowers which died off naturally (they are annuals), were buried over time, and were subjected to intense underground pressures which produced the pools and seams of Unscent. The Unscent that is mined today is almost crystalline in appearance, much like diamonds, but actually dissolves when saponified in soap mixtures. :)
Like a fine wine....only the best stories are bottled in our minds. I would describe the Greybeard mind as exquisite....with a touch of tannins.

• Noble Otter Bare (Unscented) (3)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Wilkinson Stainless (1)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
Morning shave for a noon appointment. First use of a Wilkinson blade in many years. The last time I used one I was disappointed in its performance. Not today, it was flawless: smooth and close.
PT will be coming over today. I'm actually looking forward to it, as I've made great strides ( ;) ) in my ability to walk and to climb stairs. Progress has been steady, but yesterday was a breakthrough for me, as I twice went upstairs to the second floor, which I hadn't done since coming home. Doing so meant that I slept in my own bed, which was a very welcome change. The couch is comfortable, but the bed was a nice improvement. :)

Doing so meant that I slept in my own bed, which was a very welcome change. The couch is comfortable, but the bed was a nice improvement. :)
Isn't is surprising how much little things like that mean? I remember after I got home from spending two months in the hospital after my car accident (both in patient and rehab), just being able to listen to my stereo almost brought me to tears (this was well before iPhones and iPods). I was still in a wheel chair but sat there for hours with the headphones on. Glad you're continuing to improve, my friend. :)

• Noble Otter Bare (Unscented) (4)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Wilkinson Stainless (2)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
Late morning shave in preparation for my final OT home visit. Progress has been made, and in a little more than 3 weeks I'll begin cardiac rehab. That's when the real work will begin. A couple more weeks of PT and I'll be ready.

Hope we're all having a great day. :)

• Noble Otter Bare (Unscented) (5)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Wilkinson Stainless (3)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
Afternoon shave today because I didn't feel like shaving this morning. This setup continues to please: N.O. soaps are excellent, and I've been pleasantly surprised with the blade. I last used Wilkinson blades years ago, soon after starting wetshaving. I was still trying to find "my blade", and wrote them off when I wasn't pleased. Likely it was my technique back then.

Enjoy your weekend, Cadre!

Back