The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

• Sudsy Soapery's Unscented Tallow (42)
  • Maggard tuxedo 24mm synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Kai (4)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
A refreshing Sunday shave. Love the faint aroma of the Nivea. Thank you @NurseDave for recommending it. Another day of resting my heart while keeping my legs moving.

No hockey today. Bummer. @heysi 's Vegas Golden Knights are off to a good start with a game one win last night. Good game for them.
Nice Bruce!, We had a live watch party, but @heysi Ghosted us so MEH!, LOL

No shave today, which is going to be a busy one. Nurse case manager at 10, OT at 11:30, phone follow up with surgical team at 1:30. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it. Have a great day, Cadre!

Nice Bruce!, We had a live watch party, but @heysi Ghosted us so MEH!, LOL

Ya, first hockey game I’ve watched in over 10 years and @heysi left me hanging.
I chose to focus on the game at hand. I could hear you guys dinging at me on the chat. And I responded during the intermissions.

Gald to hear everything is progressing nicely for you Bruce.

No shave today, which is going to be a busy one. Nurse case manager at 10, OT at 11:30, phone follow up with surgical team at 1:30. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it. Have a great day, Cadre!
Jeesh, it took less effort to make the bionic man!

Go slow. That's what everyone tells me, and they are right. PT, OT, PAs, and RNs have all counseled me to go slow. I try, and it's hard, but I'm working on it. Whenever I stand, I pause to check my balance and to make sure my circulation is keeping pace with my movements. Once steady, I grab the cane and off I go. This is where I need to Go Slow. It takes a conscious effort for me to do so, because my instinct is to push myself because that's how you build strength, right? Not after heart surgery, no sir. First you rest your heart for 6 weeks or so for it to recover full function. Profound fatigue is normal.

So, I am trying to Go Slow. Whenever I repeat that advice to myself, a 1970 song by Shawn Phillips comes to mind. From his album Second Contribution, this song has always grabbed me. The album deserves a full listen, as songs flow from one to the next. That's why the first notes sound harsh to my ears, as YTube split the album into distinct tracks and missed on this one by leaving the tale end of the previous song. For some truly talented folk guitar work, listen carefully to the music underneath the vocals. It's a gentle song that builds momentum. Hope you enjoy. :)

Go slow. That's what everyone tells me, and they are right. PT, OT, PAs, and RNs have all counseled me to go slow. I try, and it's hard, but I'm working on it. Whenever I stand, I pause to check my balance and to make sure my circulation is keeping pace with my movements. Once steady, I grab the cane and off I go. This is where I need to Go Slow. It takes a conscious effort for me to do so, because my instinct is to push myself because that's how you build strength, right? Not after heart surgery, no sir. First you rest your heart for 6 weeks or so for it to recover full function. Profound fatigue is normal.

So, I am trying to Go Slow. Whenever I repeat that advice to myself, a 1970 song by Shawn Phillips comes to mind. From his album Second Contribution, this song has always grabbed me. The album deserves a full listen, as songs flow from one to the next. That's why the first notes sound harsh to my ears, as YTube split the album into distinct tracks and missed on this one by leaving the tale end of the previous song. For some truly talented folk guitar work, listen carefully to the music underneath the vocals. It's a gentle song that builds momentum. Hope you enjoy. :)

It sounds like you're doing a great job doing a difficult job. Hang in there! Great song too! I've never heard of Mr. Phillips, but I'm going to check him out. It looks like he's got a whole lifetime of music to explore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It looks like he's got a whole lifetime of music to explore.
He enjoyed some success in the '70s, but has pretty much played his music in relative obscurity. I find his guitar playing extraordinary. This was from his second album, Second Contribution.

He enjoyed some success in the '70s, but has pretty much played his music in relative obscurity. I find his guitar playing extraordinary. This was from his second album, Second Contribution.
If you can pay the bills, obscure musician sounds like a dream job to me! I was an obscure musician who couldn't pay the bills, which made things far less enjoyable!

• Sudsy Soapery's Unscented Tallow (43)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Kai (5)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
An afternoon shave today, following some fun PT in the morning. Progressing well, I'm told. So PT & OT have given me homework to do: lots of walking, and arm and leg exercises. Very mild exercises, I might add, yet they still fatigue me. Apparently, this is normal at this stage of the game. :)

• Sudsy Soapery's Unscented Tallow (44)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • C-1 Red Tip Gillette/Kai (6)
  • Nivea 2 in 1 AS splash
Noonish shave today. Exercises from PT and OT on the agenda. Be sure to check out Dave & Dave's video podcast, which can be found on their YTube channels.

Have a great day, Cadre.

The Red Tip is my favorite of the colored tip Gillettes. I also use my Fatboy on 9, so I guess I like the more assertive end of the Gillette spectrum. Have a great day!

the more assertive end of the Gillette spectrum.
Yes, the razor intimidated me at first, and I frequently found the razor harsh, especially on my upper lip. It's either mellowed over time, or I've gotten better at shaving. My money is on the razor mellowing.

Stanley Cup Finals game tonight! 😃

Back