The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

Straight razors do not have wax blobs, problem solved👍
True enough, but their maintenance and upkeep is expensive and time consuming. I have a million reasons for not venturing into straights, but the simple truth is that I'm afraid of them. Have been every since I cut myself on one of my grandfather's straights. Cut through my finger like butter.

True enough, but their maintenance and upkeep is expensive and time consuming. I have a million reasons for not venturing into straights, but the simple truth is that I'm afraid of them. Have been every since I cut myself on one of my grandfather's straights. Cut through my finger like butter.
Loosing a finger or two isn’t a big deal - you have 10 after all…..it’s when you cut the whole hand off - that’s when it becomes an issue…..

1657823998403.gif

I completely understand. I will openly admit that it took me about 25 shaves with a straight razor before I was not afraid to pick it up.

• Shannon's Soaps Nil (15)
  • Maggard tuxedo synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Gillette Silver Blue blade (2)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Nice shave with the GSB, and of course the creamy Shannon's lather. Chilling at home, watching North Woods Law, which takes place in NH. Relaxing. Let the weekend begin!

I’ve always wondered where the Yankees / Mets and Giants / Jets cut-off lines are - is it geographical or more family tradition?
Being a Jets Fan or Mets Fan for Italian-Americans is a pure act of rebellion. The geographical lines for baseball were a bit clearer when The Brooklyn Dodgers were a thing. Yanks drew from all the boroughs, The Bums were loved in Brooklyn and Queens. Today that is pretty much out the window. The Jets and Mets were upstart franchises in the 60’s and tended to draw the younger crowd. Of course there are many exceptions. Unfortunately, both football teams are NJ based today.

Boog Powell was one of my favorite players.
One of mine, too. I started paying attention to MLB during the '66 World Series, in which the O's swept the Dodgers. We moved to Connecticut in '67, the summer of the Red Sox and Yastrzemski. I became a Red Sox fan that summer (I was 10) and haven't looked back. I still root for the O's when they are in the playoffs and the Sox aren't.

Back