The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

• Shannon's Soaps Nil (11)
  • Maggard tuxedo synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (3)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Great shave today. Very little time to post - Sharknado 5: Global Swarming is on. Inexplicably, Sharknado 6 (The Last Sharknado: It's About Time) does not follow, though 1-5 were run consecutively.

Thursday 7/7/22
  • Shannon's Soaps Nil (12)
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (4)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Saturday 7/9/22
  • Shannon's Soaps Nil (13)
  • Gillette 1946-7 Aristocrat/Super-Max Stainless blade (5)
  • DSC Post Shave Cream
Been a busy few days. Wednesday morning I drove to N. Carolina to help my sister as she prepared for complex back surgery on Friday. Just got back home about an hour ago. Surgery went well, and sister is fine, though she'd disagree with that assessment. She had mucho hardware screwed into her back, and is in a decent amount of pain. They're giving her better drugs than allowed at home, so the pain is much better managed now, and it will gradually dissipate. As her brother, it is difficult to observe, but as a nurse, I am delighted with where she is right now.

Sounds pretty good to me. I'd trust your professional judgement over your sibling judgement in this situation.
Yeah, she's in a tough situation: docs and nurses all tell her she's doing fine, yet she still hurts. Now, it's primarily postop pain, which goes away relatively quickly. I say "relatively" because when you're in the middle of it, time drags on forever between pain meds.
Pain sucks.
It truly does. I believe the opioid epidemic was, at least in part, was due to health care providers' (MDs, CRNPs, and PAs) attempts to relieve pain. In the mid-1990s there was a big push to assess every patient's pain level. New pain clinics sprouted up like mushrooms after a rainstorm. Opioids were one tool in their medical bags. With judicious use, they are very effective, but many pain clinics found that people required ever-increasing dosages as they developed a tolerance. Dosages increased to astronomical levels until they reached critical mass and concerned providers had to back off. This coincided with the manufacture of cheaper, stronger oral narcotics. A perfect storm.

It truly does. I believe the opioid epidemic was, at least in part, was due to health care providers' (MDs, CRNPs, and PAs) attempts to relieve pain. In the mid-1990s there was a big push to assess every patient's pain level. New pain clinics sprouted up like mushrooms after a rainstorm. Opioids were one tool in their medical bags. With judicious use, they are very effective, but many pain clinics found that people required ever-increasing dosages as they developed a tolerance. Dosages increased to astronomical levels until they reached critical mass and concerned providers had to back off. This coincided with the manufacture of cheaper, stronger oral narcotics. A perfect storm.
“Over the past 160 years, life expectancy (from birth) in the United States has risen from 39.4 years in 1860, to 78.9 years in 2020” (statista.com)
It gives me pause when I hear how much healthier our ancestors were. Kinda hard to develop Alzheimer’s, diabetes, arthritis, etc. when you die at 40. Increased life expectancy isn’t necessarily on pace with life quality. A challenge I wish the medical community would embrace.

Back