The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

• Shannon's Soaps Coconut Lime (3)
  • Maggard tuxedo synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette '46/7 Aristocrat/Supermax stainless (4)
  • CBL unscented AS tonic
Nice smooth, comfortable shave today. Today Sheri & I celebrate our 35th anniversary. We plan a quiet evening at home this year.

Yesterday I went for a short bike ride in my neighborhood. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is to me. I haven't been on a bike for 3 years, and was unsure of my ability to balance. Since last year's vertigo episode, my balance has been slowly improving, but not back to baseline yet. However, once I got on my trusty 2003 Trek Calypso 7-speed, my bike balance was perfect. Getting around without the fear of falling is something I haven't experienced since my legs gave out in 2018. I told Sheri that I'm probably safer on my bike than my own two feet! There is a rail trail down along the Allegheny and Ohio rivers, a round trip of just 12 miles. My goal is to complete that by the end of summer. My legs are fairly deconditioned, so I need to build strength and stamina. Looking forward to it, actually. Next summer, I want to be back on the longer trails. Western PA is blessed with numerous bike rail trails, so I can do a new one each weekend and never do the same one twice. The photo that is my avatar was taken from an old railroad trestle that's part of a rail trail up north of Pittsburgh, near Oil City. The river is the Allegheny. There are about a half-dozen trails up there that I've yet to explore. Something to look forward to.

takes quite a bit of self-assurance!
I was anything but self assured, I promise you! I was scared that I wouldn't be able to balance, but once my center of gravity shifted from my legs to my seated butt, all balance issues disappeared. You could see the grin on my face a block away. I was elated and relieved as I rode around the neighborhood
elementary school. I find cycling to be very freeing, and it never fails to relax me. I love trying new trails and seeing new things, but the true joy in cycling is not the destination, but in the journey itself. I feel like I'm 9 years old on my brand new shiny B&W Schwinn single speed. In fact, I bought the Trek Calypso, which is a cruiser, because it reminded me of that favorite bike from my youth.

• Shannon's Soaps Coconut Lime (4)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette '46/7 Aristocrat/Supermax stainless (5)
  • CBL unscented AS tonic
Another great shave from this setup. The heat wave continues here, making being outdoors miserable. Pretty, though.

• Shannon's Soaps Coconut Lime (6)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Gillette '46/7 Aristocrat/Supermax Platinum (1)
  • AV Ice Blue splash
Tomorrow I head to Michigan for a family gathering. Bought a bottle of AV, as my wife isn't going. Thought I'd give it an early go. It's more complex of a scent than I had recalled. Good stuff, very soothing. We'll see if I can get away with using it around the house.

Love me some AV Ice Blue, smells fairly straightforward in the bottle but do find a little complexity once on the face. Also dissipates fairly quickly in my experience.

Back