The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

Awesome Bruce! Starting 2019 off strong!

Your Special Blend is starting to look like a cup of vanilla/strawberry ice cream!
1f60b.png

Good for you Bruce! Just don’t over do it, you don’t want to end up taking a step backwards during your recovery.

That special blend soap looks like a fancy Starbucks drink!
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I'm being careful, that's for certain. This soap is pricier than any Starbucks drink!

Great news Bruce, Congrats!

Awesome Bruce! Starting 2019 off strong!

Your Special Blend is starting to look like a cup of vanilla/strawberry ice cream!
1f60b.png

Great progress Bruce!

Thank you, gentlemen! I'm very fortunate. Tomorrow it's back to work, using only a cane for balance. I'm pleased with my progress thus far. PT tomorrow as well.

Thank you, gentlemen! I'm very fortunate. Tomorrow it's back to work, using only a cane for balance. I'm pleased with my progress thus far. PT tomorrow as well.
That's awesome! Now, lets get you a sweet cane you can keep using for style even after you don't need it.

That's awesome! Now, lets get you a sweet cane you can keep using for style even after you don't need it.
I bet Mike could make him one!

Thank you, but when I no longer need a cane I won't use one. That said, I've seen some very creative canes at work, real works of art. I worked with a nurse anesthetist, a Gulf War and Afghanistan veteran, who made beautiful canes from tree limbs and gave them away to vets who needed them.

My razor arrived at Sport Shaving on Wednesday, January 2nd. When it returns, I'll post before and after pics. It's really not in bad shape now, but I want it to look brand new. Makes me feel like I'm using a new razor. It's the last razor I need replated. All four will be as good as new.
1f60a.png

My razor arrived at Sport Shaving on Wednesday, January 2nd. When it returns, I'll post before and after pics. It's really not in bad shape now, but I want it to look brand new. Makes me feel like I'm using a new razor. It's the last razor I need replated. All four will be as good as new.
1f60a.png

Awesome Bruce! Looking forward to the post-spa pics!

Today:

• My Special Blend 2 (MSB2)
  • Rudy Vey 22mm Muhle STF
  • '38 Sheraton w/ Timor (#1)
  • DG Trismegistus splash
Tossed the last Timor after 5 excellent shaves. It was time, as shaves #6 & 7 had required more passes, leading to some mild irritation. Loving the Trimegistus splash, very manly scent that I enjoy for hours. MSB2 soap continues to perform flawlessly. I cut it up and smashed it down in the tub to even it off. Now it's at the level of a brand new full tub with about 1/4" clearance, which makes lathering easier.

Enjoy your shaves, Cadre!

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass
  • '61 FB w/ Timor (#1)
  • DG Trismegistus splash
The FB came back 8 days after mailing it in to BackRoadsGold for repair and refurbishing, looking better than new. I've always enjoyed the feel and heft of a FB, it just feels solid to me. The soap was a sample sent with the razor. Very good stuff: lathers easily and checks all the appropriate boxes, plus it smells great. All in all, a very enjoyable shave.

Have a great day, Cadre!

EDIT: Meant to include this photo previously.

• Shannon's Soaps Lavender Lemongrass
  • '61 FB w/ Timor (#1)
  • DG Trismegistus splash
The FB came back 8 days after mailing it in to BackRoadsGold for repair and refurbishing, looking better than new. I've always enjoyed the feel and heft of a FB, it just feels solid to me. The soap was a sample sent with the razor. Very good stuff: lathers easily and checks all the appropriate boxes, plus it smells great. All in all, a very enjoyable shave.

Have a great day, Cadre!

Nice Shave today Bruce! Hope recovery is coming along...I bet in no time you will be running some 5Ks!

Nice shave Bruce but a notice of receiving a refurbished razor requires pictures ?

SCRATCH that, saw it in the restoration thread, Thanks

Nice Shave today Bruce! Hope recovery is coming along...I bet in no time you will be running some 5Ks!

Don, when at work I'm averaging just shy of 3000 steps/day, using the cane. At home I use the cane for stairs only. Yesterday I did 1100 steps without it. I'm getting stronger and more steady. Very pleased with my progress, though I still have a long way to go before ditching the cane permanently.

Don, when at work I'm averaging just shy of 3000 steps/day, using the cane. At home I use the cane for stairs only. Yesterday I did 1100 steps without it. I'm getting stronger and more steady. Very pleased with my progress, though I still have a long way to go before ditching the cane permanently.

Bruce...I know a bunch of people who haven't had back surgery that don't get 3,000 steps a day without a cane! That's great progress!

• MSB2
  • '61 FB w/ Timor (#6)
  • DG Trismegistus splash
OK, this is weird. With the Sheraton I got 5 great shaves with the Timor blades. However, after yesterday's #5 Timor shave on the FB I felt zero tugging, so I left the blade in. I got another great shave today, so I'll use it again tomorrow. I have no explanation for this, but I recall getting 7 shaves out of Timors on every razor but the Sheraton.

Enjoy your shaves, Cadre!

Back