The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

• LNHC Barber Shoppe (5)
  • Maggard tuxedo synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (1)
  • CBL Barba AS tonic (7)
This setup continues to deliver outstanding shaves. For me, that is what matters most. It's fun to own cool stuff, but if it gives suboptimal shaves, what is the point? I have two safety razors: a C-1 birth year/quarter, and a 1946-7 gold Aristocrat which has proven to be my favorite in terms of closeness and comfort. I'll keep the razors forever; I value them that much. As for my daily driver, clearly it's going to be the Vector, which has proven itself to be the perfect razor for me.

Have a great Friday, Cadre!

giphy.gif

• LNHC Barber Shoppe (6)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (2)
  • CBL unscented AS tonic (1)
Great shave for Easter. One of the things I like most about wet shaving is that it leaves me looking and smelling good. The unscented CBL AS Tonic is an excellent AS for skin toning and care, but it has no scent, which my wife appreciates. However, it leaves me wanting more, wanting a clean, fresh-shaven aroma that announces my presence. I'll use the incredibly scented ones for when Sheri isn't in the immediate vicinity, and keep the unscented for when I need it. Either way, my skin appreciates it. (y)

I just finished up a week of Vector shaves. In December through March, I fell down the single edge hole, starting with the gateway razor, the Parker adjustable injector. That led to 2 vintage Schicks, a G and an M, and the Vector, and the Sabre. And a Yates showed up as well. So I was bouncing all over the place, getting some good and some great shaves. But the Vector, wow, so close. But if I used it 2-3 days in a row, it seemed to irritate me. After too much dabbling and enjoying switching things daily, I decided to go back to a weekly set up and LEARN the razor. First up, the Vector. I put in a Kai Protouch MG (training wheels, I am told by some) and started to be educated. Each day got better, and no irritation. Consistency achieved around the 4th or 5th shave. You are right, Bruce, what is the point of a not super shave when you have the razor that delivers it?!

I have been a Karve fanboy since mid 2018. Nothing was smoother or delivered the comfort and closeness, for me. But this Vector seems to want to bump it off the top of the heap! As well as the injectors. As some wag put it, it's almost like cheating shaving with a Schick injector!

But back to the Vector. The first blade I ever tried was when I borrowed by Kentucky buddy's Vector and some Prolines. Awesome! Now that I believe I have things down, I will but a Proline back in the Vector and see if I can repeat those awesome shaves.

In any event, I think I am being sucked into single edge shaving! Thanks for reading, and I appreciated reading your posts on the Vector!

• LNHC Barber Shoppe (7)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (3)
  • CBL Barba AS tonic
Back to the good smelling stuff - just need to avoid the wife for a couple hours. Man, do I love the smell of Barba.

From time to time I will post songs that are playing in my head. This morning it's The Traveling Wilbury's"

This official video always saddens me: Roy Orbison had died after recording the song, but before the video was made. A guitar in a rocking chair takes his place.

Last edited:
I passed the tests, if "passing" means mild/moderate bilateral hearing loss, and identifying the three contributing factors to my balance issues. All in all, a successful battery of tests which will point out treatment options. I'll learn more next week when I have a video appointment with the ENT doc, who is super-experienced with these issues. :)

• LNHC Barber Shoppe (10)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (6)
  • CBL unscented AS tonic
Happy Friday, Cadre. Today's shave was a good one, topped by the fast-absorbing, soothing AS tonic. My skin and I feel clean and refreshed.

AS Update!!

Sheri has been preoccupied in another part of the house, so I added Barba to the mix. Enough time has passed that only I can smell it.

Back