The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Razor Cannot Be "Efficient"

This. It's been a point of discussion before how the angle of the blade itself in relation to the skin is a major player in aggressiveness. i.e. those head that put more of curve on the blade tend to be less aggressive than those that have less or no curve given the same blade gap.

Yes, but once you factor in a person's "cone of dispersion", i.e., variance in their shave angle, AND the actual blade hone angle that is not really a factor IMO with the Tech. As a matter of fact, the cheap chintzy "pseudo" Tech as currently made & sold in the Third World is an ideal razor as due to the fact it uses pot metal and is wafer thin it makes for a more maneuverable Tech. Alas, it has little to any weight and as aforementioned is made of Chinese nuclear waste. :sick:

DeepSea, if you're getting irritation with a Tech I can assure you it's your technique and/or prep with all due respect. Are you using pressure?

@Bogeyman I've seen some extensive reviews in the past. I definitely recall the mention that the blade gap is identical.

Also, the people who did the reviews were likely seasoned tech users. Ie, they likely knew, by muscle memory, exactly where the sweet spot (angle) was that gives you the best cut with each pass.

Do you know which, if any, of the two has a wider angle that it'll cut with. Let's say I never used a tech before... Which ones is going to work 'out of the gate' better?

I know that spot is governed by a lot, including curvature, exposure, and so on. These are the things that I don't recall the difference between the pair.

Has anyone asked the question "Can a razor be inefficient?"

I think the answer to THAT question is "yes, it CAN be"..... So it follows that a razor can be deemed efficient.

Which leads me to believe that there are varying degrees of efficiency.

But what do I know? I'm a lowly Jr Shave Member named Dave, when I'm in my Batcave!

Has anyone asked the question "Can a razor be inefficient?"

I think the answer to THAT question is "yes, it CAN be"..... So it follows that a razor can be deemed efficient.

Which leads me to believe that there are varying degrees of efficiency.

But what do I know? I'm a lowly Jr Shave Member named Dave, when I'm in my Batcave!
The Dave part gives you all kinds of street cred around here though ;) 😂

Not what I was getting at... In the stunt shave thread I linked, we all shaved with razors that did not have handles, and since you stated you loved techs without handles.......
Please KJ and I mean this with the utmost respect...YOU'RE INSANE!...I have jumped out of planes, dove to depths no sane human should...nay, nay, nay...on that action boss...

Anyway, check out this NOS goodness!

Attachments

• 99465E51-A351-4FD0-BF83-59DE2EC1FC1E.jpeg
    99465E51-A351-4FD0-BF83-59DE2EC1FC1E.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 9
  • E42D9EC6-DB39-4910-904D-E0DACA560B5D.jpeg
    E42D9EC6-DB39-4910-904D-E0DACA560B5D.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 11
  • C43C2FD0-B9E2-4499-BF7E-0C6BD4E8643C.jpeg
    C43C2FD0-B9E2-4499-BF7E-0C6BD4E8643C.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 12
Watch this. ;)
It is MYTH that the pre-war Tech is more "aggressive" than post-war Techs.

It's actually interesting this was mentioned in this thread. I would agree that it's a myth that "Pre-war" Techs are more aggressive than post-war Techs. I find the pre-war Fat Handle is less aggressive than several models made after it. It has much more to do with the thickness of the both plates, curvature, and blade exposure. I actually said "triangular blade gaps" when replying to @mrdoug. I should have specified I meant the cutouts on the bottom plate. Not the distance from the top plate to the safety bar.

When specifically talking about the WWII Issue Bakelite Tech, it has a thinner bottom plate that isn't as upright as models made before and after it. Also, the top plate doesn't hold the blade down flush against the bottom plate. That coupled with larger blade cutouts there is less rigidity, as you mentioned. So while all of the Techs are very similar, they also have a lot of differences between all of them in regards to other features besides blade gap. And they all seem to differ slightly from model to model regardless of date. It is a myth that pre-war Techs are more aggressive than post-war Techs. Although I would argue that the WWII Bakelite Tech head is, slightly, more aggressive than the later model "Plastic Handle" Techs.

Not what I was getting at... In the stunt shave thread I linked, we all shaved with razors that did not have handles, and since you stated you loved techs without handles.......
Please KJ and I mean this with the utmost respect...YOU'RE INSANE!...I have jumped out of planes, dove to depths no sane human should...nay, nay, nay...on that action boss...
Oh Ed, I've done none of those things and did it and survived !
View attachment 15126
Now that was all said tongue in cheek...of course...

Back