The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Razor Cannot Be "Efficient"

As long as we're opening cans of worms, you should know that use of a proper razor will reduce such disputes around the forum. No need to worry about gaps, plates, and whatnot . . . .
This is kind of where my mind goes. Not that I profess to employ perfect technique but the technique that I employ seems to be the overriding factor more often than not since I use straight razors or unguarded vintage shavettes most of the time. I Do however understand what @Dragonsbeard means by a razors design (comb style etc) lending itself to a more or less aggressive face feel regardless of good technique.

This everlasting debate exposes a very important concept that lies at the heart of most great conflicts...the use and understanding of language. Simple geographic and cultural differences leave each of us with word preferences and subtle differences in understandings or standards of usage. While the strict meaning of a word might make it seem appropriate, context would make it less so. These differences are more obvious when you attempt to translate from English to Spanish or French or? Truth is, efficient is a pretty clean and (pardon the use of the word) efficient way of describing what is trying to be said. So too are effective, aggressive and functional but each of those words might also convey more or less information than the person is trying to say. Aggressive might imply a negative or overly efficient, overly effective functionality. Effective might imply it only meets a minimum standard and nothing more...but maybe efficient says the same?

Civil discourse for the purpose of moving forward or achieving better understanding of one another is acceptable, even if it involves a soapbox or two. Discourse that devolves into endless circular argument has no value here.

...This everlasting debate exposes a very important concept that lies at the heart of most great conflicts...the use and understanding of language. Simple geographic and cultural differences leave each of us with word preferences and subtle differences in understandings or standards of usage. While the strict meaning of a word might make it seem appropriate, context would make it less so. These differences are more obvious when you attempt to translate from English to Spanish or French or? Truth is, efficient is a pretty clean and (pardon the use of the word) efficient way of describing what is trying to be said. So too are effective, aggressive and functional but each of those words might also convey more or less information than the person is trying to say. Aggressive might imply a negative or overly efficient, overly effective functionality. Effective might imply it only meets a minimum standard and nothing more...but maybe efficient says the same?

Civil discourse for the purpose of moving forward or achieving better understanding of one another is acceptable, even if it involves a soapbox or two. Discourse that devolves into endless circular argument has no value here.

A great description I once read of a translation between two languages for certain inexact terminology was the difference between the same musical notes played on two different instruments.

I have through the years tried a veritable boxcar full of razors and most have all been sold. I use some form of Gillette Tech for 95%+ of my shaving because it shaves smack dab in the middle of the "Goldilocks zone" of 0.020" - 0.025". Any closer and I am susceptible to irritation or worse, ingrown hairs.

Now, where was I......

vwLkP84.jpg

A great description I once read of a translation between two languages for certain inexact terminology was the difference between the same musical notes played on two different instruments.

I have through the years tried a veritable boxcar full of razors and most have all been sold. I use some form of Gillette Tech for 95%+ of my shaving because it shaves smack dab in the middle of the "Goldilocks zone" of 0.020" - 0.025". Any closer and I am susceptible to irritation or worse, ingrown hairs.

Now, where was I......

vwLkP84.jpg

That right there, my friend, is a testament to how great the Tech was (and still is). No matter where you go, who you talk to in wet shaving, they'll inevitably tell you you should at least try a Tech.

Now, where was I......

vwLkP84.jpg
I find Techs inefficient..........Sorry, I honestly couldn't resist 😎

Wrong head on that one is it not? That's a later head.
Perhaps. They had silver ones too and I'm no expert. It's the way it was found. Probably a later head but I believe they all weren't gold either. Just the one you pulled from Mr. Razor. Here's one pulled quickly from pinterest

Attachments

• 1579043036551.png
    1579043036551.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Yup...the old Tech’s are great razors. I have at least one of each type made EXCEPT those that were made outside the US. Same with the Superspeed. I REALLY like the 1940’s superspeed, probably the single best shaving DE razor I own ...or a close second to the Aristocrat. I understand the superspeed has a Canadian cousin (Rocket?) and the Aristocrat has a beautiful English open comb version, if they shave as well then I have something to add to my future buy list.

I don’t know if any of these razor should be called efficient or effective but they sure do deserve to be called a ‘pleasure’.

...and the Aristocrat has a beautiful English open comb version, if they shave as well then I have something to add to my future buy list.

I don’t know if any of these razor should be called efficient or effective but they sure do deserve to be called a ‘pleasure’.

Back