The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Last night was shave four. Been here before, so nothing to see.

Didn't post as I was a bit more worried about my dinged razor. It worked out fine.
Dinged razor? Did i miss something?

On an entirely different note, I find that I must disqualify myself!

I was looking over this thread and saw that I originally said I would be using a different blade than I have been! Sorry gents, I've only used one blade, a Silver Star, but I think I originally stated I would use a Battle Brother's one. Again, sorry.

Signed, "just one of those Dave's"

I guess if I went around looking like a hobo I could make an artist blade last a month. :LOL:

Dinged razor? Did i miss something?

Signed, "just one of those Dave's"

Yep. Here's a link to the call for help. Luckily I managed to fix it. It was a tense day for me. I'm probably a bit dramatic. [emoji2369]

Last edited:
I had to switch blades, see above. I could rub my finger over it and not get cut. I had been hand stropping it, flipping it, and drying it.

I don't know if 10 is my wall, if o had a bum blade, or if all that care was ruining it faster. This time, I am doing nothing different.

Yes, I failed. But, I am hopefully learning something.
That's NOT a fail. I thought you meant you only had 4 shaves in Feb 😂

Shave #29 with the Tech/Feather combo. At some point between assembling the razor in Oahu and packing up, I finally had some rusting and tea staining start. Still, the blade performed admirably, though a little roughness around the upper lip/chin curve, where the whiskers are most thick and dense.

Could I keep going, sure, but I think I’m going to call this challenge successful and enjoy a Vector shave at home tomorrow...

OBF 22 2.28.2020
20200228_041247.jpg

OBF 23 2.29.2020
20200229_041626.jpg

Shave 27 last night, 3 passes and called it. 1 pass ATG this morning in the shower to clean up for the day marks number 28. Tonight will be the last shave with this blade then in to giving the SS Lupo a fresh blade to see how it really performs.

Friday
Razor:
RR GC .84p
Blade: Derby Premium (28)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: CBL Tobacco & Caramel
AS: Stirling Gentleman

Saturday
Razor:
RR GC .84p

Blade: Derby Premium (29)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: CBL Oud Minerale
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Sport

Quick Entry today. Shave 28 & 29. BBS* & BBS*. A little irritation yesterday but none today. Must have been user error. Tomorrow is number 30.

IMG_1586.jpg

This was my trio that got me through the month of my ragged looking Personna Red (Israeli) blade. As mentioned earlier I began with my custom (made in Sept 19) Wolfman Ti Wr2 145 as it can yield single pass shaves - it's that efficient. Next up was my adjustable Gibbs with the Caudio (@Clouds) brass 900 mm extension handle - I can't emphasize how much his handle improved the handling of the very smooth Gibbs. Feel free to contact him on the boards or through his Etzy site, you won't be sorry as the Gibbs handle is short and very head heavy otherwise. Then the Yates Precision using its medium (0.61 mm) hybrid/dual comb plate for many 2 pass shaves as its very smooth and can do the work bringing me over the finish line.

It was fun and challenging but I prefer changing my blades every week.

OBF 24
20200301_041502.jpg

Well February has come and gone but this blade is still rolling along. lather could have used a bit more water today but the shave still turned out good. missed a couple spots during cleanup trying to hurry up and get out the door.

One Blade February resulted in 21 shaves on the first blade before I changed it, and 4 shaves on another. I now expect that I should be able to get at least 10 good shaves, probably more like 14, before I start losing stubble-free longevity. I didn't notice any tugging on the Battle Brothers blade, just that stubble was reappearing sooner, often in the early afternoon. With extra strokes, I thought I was getting the same result, but initial impressions didn't match longevity of a smooth mug.

As I have many blades in my storage drawer, I am respectfully Not In for the PIF @Spider is offering. And thanks, @Spider, for the fun challenge!

Back