The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

OK, thanks for the update...... but I think you missed my other post. You won the first PIF.
I sure did miss the post. That is great news, can’t wait to try the blades.
Today was super busy for me with High School baseball practice starting and not getting home until after 6:30pm. I usually try to catch up with the forums in the afternoon when I get home from school, but I was only able to skim through a few topics today.

OBF 26

20200303_124506.jpg

Shave was more of the same.

Great Kyle! Glad you’re still in it.

who else is still in and heading towards the two month (30 shave) goal?

Great Kyle! Glad you’re still in it.

who else is still in and heading towards the two month (30 shave) goal?
i gotta say, one thing that i REALY can't wait for is giving the razor a good clean once i hit 30 shaves. I'll put the blade back in and keep it going after but i don't want to take the chance of messing something up by taking it apart to clean it till then.

i gotta say, one thing that i REALY can't wait for is giving the razor a good clean once i hit 30 shaves. I'll put the blade back in and keep it going after but i don't want to take the chance of messing something up by taking it apart to clean it till then.
I never clean my razor until I change my blade, and my record is 115 shaves. I don’t think you need to worry about it, yet.

I never clean my razor until I change my blade, and my record is 115 shaves. I don’t think you need to worry about it, yet.
mostly just a lot of crud/soap scum built up that is bugging me. between the teeth and whatnot

no. just making the razor less pretty lol
Gotcha.

Man I don't know how you guys do it, no way I don't clean the razor after every shave
The build up doesn't affect anything except the aesthetics. So If I"m taking a SOTD pic, sometimes I'll wipe the cap clean, but that's it. It's my theory that cleaning the razor affects the blade and reduces longevity.

Awesome!

33 for me, not quite as close as it has been,but not enough of a drop to bin it yet!

Same for me. A new blade may be a bit better, but I’m still getting a really good shave. I may just give up my Fatboy experiment (it’s not going well lol) and see how far this Derby Premium can take me.

Well, the month is over and I want to thank you all for playing along. Looks like only 4 of you needed to change your blade out at some point this month, which is way lower than I expected. And despite not doing daily shaves, It looks like most everyone got a solid 3 weeks worth of shaves for the month, which is really good. And remember there are no losers here. My only hope was that everyone learned something about blade longevity, and their own abilities with a blade. I hope this is just the beginning, and that you all continue to experiment with some of your other blades. And in the end, if you get just one more shave out of your blades than you used to, I call it a success!

Special congrats to @GearNoir @gvw755 and @SteveChuckFrank who, along with me, went the whole month with daily shaves!

I will do the draw for the first part of the PIF soon.

Doesn't matter if you changed your mind, as long as you used the same blade all month is all that matters.
Thanks my friend, but I just was trying to kill that blade, and it's been a fighter; I got bored with the Silver Star, so I put the blade back in the wrapper to rest, lol. 16 total uses so far.

But I'm definitely disqualified now; I put an old GSB in an old Gillette LC and used it for it's 46th shave! Was incredibly smooth.

Prep is everything, I swear.

Shave 28 happened. shave was just OK but i was also rushing so i could get out the door to get a haircut in before work.

I’m a little late getting my update(s) posted but I wanted to share with everyone that I was successful in my endeavor to use a single blade (even used the same razor) all of February. I skipped 4 shaves so I didn’t get a solid 29 uses out of the blade but I did stick with it. I probably didn’t need to use any tricks other than to keep it clean and dry between uses...but I couldn’t help messing with it. I absolutely loved using the razor but I do think the blade faded a bit after 10ish uses. That said, even a faded AC type blade seems to perform better than a solid DE blade in my hands (more on that in the DE thread later).

Back