The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Shave 22 on the Personna. Had to do 4 passes to get where I am used to 2 and some clean up. The after shave is burning much more than usual as well. Two shaved ago it was wonderful.

Well, it was a rush job, but I got shave #24 done today. Thank goodness for stunt shaves.... I had practice getting a speed shave done. Woke up super late because I accidentally set my alarm for the wrong time... ugh. From the time I picked up my brush, did a 3 pass shave, and applied my aftershave...... 3 minutes exactly! Wooooo!

Shave #19 with the Wilkie was very smooth, although just a little less efficient. Could be the result of moving to my Timeless 0.68. Finished up the Australian Private Reserve (sample) today. Generally a very nice start to the day.

OBF 20

20200224_144906.jpg

Yesterday's shave was apparently so good I didn't quite have my normal 24hr stubble when I got up. Today's feels pretty close to that as well. decided it was time to start my 3017 of TOBS Sandalwood Soap. Scent is a bit lighter than I remembered but good. Brush was a bit wetter than I intended so I go things started with a very foamy proto lather but got it worked to a nice and creamy consistency for the shave. Some AVON Leather finished up the shave very nicely and I even added a few sprays of Cuba Royal edt before I headed out the door.

My second Feather Pro Super is starting to tug. I’m going to try stropping it on my thinnest strop to see if that works tomorrow. I don’t have high hopes, but you never know.

Monday:
Razor:
RR GC .84p
Blade: Derby Premium (24)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
AS: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

Tuesday
Razor:
RR GC .84p

Blade: Derby Premium (25)
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Sorrentino Cashmere
Soap: Stirling Gin & Tonic
AS: Stirling Gin & Tonic
ACD47377-9ECE-4FB4-B1B9-FE74C94441C2.jpeg

Shaves 24 & 25 on the Derby Premium and still going good. Today was not quite the best shave, but I came out DFS+. Just a slight bit of razor burn but nothing to horrible. It may have been because I was a bit rushed this morning.

Shave 25 with my Guard. The trick with the shave oil is still producing great shaves, however I am noticing that it is slowly moving toward a good DFS instead of a near BBS like it was the past three days. Five days left! I am bringing back the high end premium soaps to see if I can keep the Guard going.

Again stropping on leather killed the edge. Maybe the DX model, without the bump along the edge, could handle stripping, but apparently not the SS.

I had to change blades today, shaves clearly took a nose dive and today's shave was noticeable improved.
Since I'm running two of these tests side by side, on in vintage Gillettes the other in a Gibbs Adjustable. I found that I got quite a few more shaves out of the Gillettes for some reason, the Gibbs was already getting bad after a couple of weeks. The Gillettes just started getting bad over the weekend.

I don't see any point in pushing past as it was a clear rounding of the corner and a couple of bad shaves was enough for me.

I've got pretty wiry facial hair, so it's no surprise to me. But it was absolutely worth pushing to find the limit as the shaves past week one were some of the best I've ever had, so I'll keep pushing blades further than I have in the going on.

It's getting a little "tugging" gentlemen despite my tricks so far and I am looking forward to ending this masochist challenge on Sunday.

I have been using the same Personna Red and have gone 21 days in the past. I planned on shaving 6 days a week which is usually what I need to do. In my first week I used my most efficient razor (WR2 Ti 145 shimmed with credit card so its effective gap is 1.75) which I can get me a single pass shave. The next week I used an adjustable Gibbs at the typical first pass 4 and second pass 6 settings without issues. I then began using the Yates Precision H plate (aggressive 1.0 mm gap) for 2 passes and the home stretch has the Yates Hybrid M plate (mid aggressive 0.61 mm) being called into service. It has been a definate learning experience where a hot shower prep and slick shave soap is a necessity followed by a soothing balm (perhaps more than a AS).

Hope everyone is also surviving so far.

Last night was shave 24. The blade feels fairly smooth with no tugging in the Lupo, but it’s not as close of a shave as I’d like. Just a few days left and I shouldn’t have any issue finishing it out.

Still going strong at #24. Yesterday the blade was tugging, so I glass honed it. The blade was almost as good as new for today's shave. I am fairly certain that I could get 100 shaves out of this blade using old-school honing techniques, if I wanted to.

OBF 21

20200226_094732.jpg

Another fantastic shave today. kept a dryer brush today and had a much better load and a super dense and creamy lather. the blade is also still doing great.

Not much going on today really. got some chores to do and had to get my car emissions tested(which somehow only took like 10 min) other than that should be a pretty chill day.

Shave Report - Jeopardy Edition:

Answer: This razor provides a enjoyable and close shave with a Wilkinson LIght Brigade blade with over 20 shaves.

Question: ??? [Guesses welcome. Answer tomorrow.]

Back