The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Shave Report - Jeopardy Edition:

Answer: This razor provides a enjoyable and close shave with a Wilkinson LIght Brigade blade with over 20 shaves.

Question: ??? [Guesses welcome. Answer tomorrow.]
What is the Hyper Tough Push Shaver, Alex?
b669ae4d5e0907999e13579742b6540d.jpg

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Derby Premium (26)
Brush: Eveready Mystery Badger
Soap: Mickey Lee Soap Works Kraken
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Sport

111C3B96-66F0-43CC-A4B6-21076A8BC1C5.jpeg

Shave #26 in the books. Still cutting, not irritating. Still good!

I’m 21 shaves in with the same blade/razor combo AND I’ve stuck with the same soap most of those shaves. I’ve been working on finishing off my first tub of Ghost town Barber as well as giving this Kai blade a good longevity test. I’ve noticed a few shaves have felt a little less comfortable, as if the blade is tugging or pulling some but for the most part those shaves are few and far between and possibly the work of the lather ...or at least as likely to be the fault of the lather as the blade. BUT, the closeness on the neck dropped off a week to ten days back. It may be connected to the tugging and my adjustment to approach or pure blade but I have had to do more clean up on the neck than typical with these type of blades and more than when the blade was fresh. Other than the appearance lack of efficiency the shaves are still pretty much the same closeness with similar longevity. The comfortable has been rock solid the whole time, the Kai captain titan mild is a really mild feeling blade, very comparable to the pro guard in my opinion.

I’ve taken to stropping on cotton and doing some laps on diamond pasted balsa with hit-n-miss results. Mostly the difference seems to be positive, it has or appears to have helped coax more life out of the blade. Today I found that my old Japanese Schick folding razor has a perfect geometry for stropping a blade on the balsa strop so I loaded the blade into it and ran the blade 10 times each side on 0.1u chrome oxide, it looked nice when I was done but the real test is tomorrow’s shave.

I’m hoping to finish the GTB soap off by the end of the month so I can move on to new soap,and a new blade.

And the answer to yesterday's Jeopardy question is:

CG L2.JPG

What is a Charcoal Goods Level 2 SB razor?

Same shave today. I'd say that the Wilkie is slowly losing its edge. After 22 shaves, I can feel that it's not doing as great a job as it was maybe 5 or 6 shaves ago. Things are still fairly comfortable, but it takes a bit more effort to get the same level of smoothness in my shave.

This week's soap is L&L Grooming/Declaration and Chatillon Lux Champs de Lavande. Love the bison base. Didn't use an AS today.

Bob

Blade: Derby Premium (26)
Brush: Eveready Mystery Badger
Soap: Mickey Lee Soap Works Kraken
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Sport

111C3B96-66F0-43CC-A4B6-21076A8BC1C5.jpeg

Shave #26 in the books. Still cutting, not irritating. Still good!
How do you get your stuff to stick to your wall like that?

Ok shaves 22 - 25 done and still going. Others had said they were only getting about a week out of these blades but while its not as great as a new blade it is still acceptable..no special care has been done with this blade either. Have a great day everyone.

Shave 27 with my Guard! Three more shaves and it is over for the challenge. Shave oil and the addition of high performing soaps really extending the life of this blade (actually, I think it more like extending the protection on my face). I look forward to getting this over with so I can go back to my DE razors. next week.

Blade: Derby Premium (27)
Brush: Tech Hive Synthetic
Soap: Oz Shaving Co. Tik Tok
AS: Oz Shaving Co. Tik Tok

ab8cef63-a3cc-434b-8820-4501934bfc03-jpeg.17959

27 shaves down, 3 to go. The Derby Premium’s got this! Walked away with very slight irritation today, but I was only a small asterisk away from BBS.

Shave #28 with the Tech/Feather combo. BBS not lasting quite as long, but still actually a pretty decent time overall. Lots of cleanup has been needed the last 5-10 shaves to get those stubborn hairs. Otherwise, still chuggin!

I don’t think I said before, but I’m passing on the PIF portions of the challenge. I’m just here for the participation brownie points!

Shave 26 with the personna last night. Feels pretty smooth on my face, just not cutting very well. Had to do 4 passes and some cleanup but I am just now feeling some of the stubble poke through.

A69C97E5-5132-4196-ADB8-073A5936F459.jpeg

Shave number 6 this month. Have a hot date tonight, lol.
IMG_20200228_150217738~2.jpg
16th use of the blade. BBS all over!

Was also my first use EVER of Williams. Found some at a grocery store in the next town over from me.

I found it to be an absolutely wonderful soap, just no real smell. It will not dethrone Arko, obviously.

Followed it all up with vintage Avon Bay Rum!

Back