The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Derby Premium (30!)
Brush: Tech Hive Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Gin & Tonic
AS: Stirling Gin & Tonic

Shave number 30! This blade stood up to the challenge for sure! DFS+ today as I was a bit lazy and didn’t feel like chasing. The Derby Premium is still delivering a comfortable and close shave with no issues.

I did consider changing the razor up today, but didn’t want to mess up the good juju. In fact, I plan on keeping this loaded in the Game Changer until it finally quits. I plan on getting to know my Fatboys a little better this month, so I’ll keep the Derby Premium loaded GC on call for days I might need a break.

I'M IN for Part 2 of the PIF tonight with shave 30 for my Gillette Guard. It is a good time to end the challenge as I used up the last of my special brew shave oil also. For all of you that doubted that one cartridge blade could last an entire month, you just haven't tried a Gillette Guard. To celebrate, I went with my gaudiest handle and my Japanese water badger brush (which matches the handle). Of course no celebration is complete without a CBL Stout soap.

DSC03083.JPG

i shaved again tonight so i have completed shave 29. tomorrow will be number 30 on this blade and razor combo. I'm gonna keep going and see how long it last. I havent done anything special no stropping or anything nor have i used any pre-shave or oils I just lather up shave rinse and put it up..

Well, the month is over and I want to thank you all for playing along. Looks like only 4 of you needed to change your blade out at some point this month, which is way lower than I expected. And despite not doing daily shaves, It looks like most everyone got a solid 3 weeks worth of shaves for the month, which is really good. And remember there are no losers here. My only hope was that everyone learned something about blade longevity, and their own abilities with a blade. I hope this is just the beginning, and that you all continue to experiment with some of your other blades. And in the end, if you get just one more shave out of your blades than you used to, I call it a success!

Special congrats to @GearNoir @gvw755 and @SteveChuckFrank who, along with me, went the whole month with daily shaves!

I will do the draw for the first part of the PIF soon.

@SteveChuckFrank and @gvw755 have already qualified for the 2nd part. @GearNoir and @Jaro1069 only need one more shave to qualify. And there are a few other who only need a few more shaves to qualify (@uacowboy @Shavin’ Yeti @dkeester @DeepSea to name a few who are close) . This part of the PIF is still open to everyone that is on their first blade, you just need to complete 30 shaves, it does not matter how long that takes. I just ask that if you intend to be considered for this, to let me know you are still in it and keep posting shave updates in this thread.

I find that I must disqualify myself!
Doesn't matter if you changed your mind, as long as you used the same blade all month is all that matters.

I’ve passed on the PIF portions (opting out of the first and switching razor/blade before the second) KJ @Spider.

Happy to have made it for the month though! Thanks for hosting!

This part of the PIF is still open to everyone that is on their first blade, you just need to complete 30 shaves, it does not matter how long that takes. I just ask that if you intend to be considered for this, to let me know you are still in it and keep posting shave updates in this thread.
I'm going to play along at home, but am opting out of the PIF.

Bob

Well I shaved this morning and I'm still going to continue as long as the blade holds out. I really want to see how this blade does. I missed a couple of days last month dealing with my grandfather passing away but I said I would do the challenge so it continues on for me as long as the blade will last. I will continue to post. Have a great one everybody...

I've been incredibly negligent about posting in this thread, but I have been playing along at home. Up to 24 shaves on the Gillette Yellow, all in the Timeless .68 SB. The blade is still holding strong. I do not qualify for the PIFs, but I'll probably keep going until the blade dies. I'll be following along (quietly) with interest.

And by the way, today was shave 31 for my Personna Blade. I was a little concerned about taking my razor apart to pack it up for travel (I like not messing with it at all). And the Fit on the Yuma isn't perfect, so sometimes I have to fiddle with the blade, but all worked out and the shave today was super smooth again. Right now at almost 3PM my face is still feeling good so I know the blade isn't really wearing down. Going to keep going with this blade for a while..... hopefully another month. Will keep updating my progress here (if you care).

And by the way, today was shave 31 for my Personna Blade. I was a little concerned about taking my razor apart to pack it up for travel (I like not messing with it at all). And the Fit on the Yuma isn't perfect, so sometimes I have to fiddle with the blade, but all worked out and the shave today was super smooth again. Right now at almost 3PM my face is still feeling good so I know the blade isn't really wearing down. Going to keep going with this blade for a while..... hopefully another month. Will keep updating my progress here (if you care).
We always care KJ

OBF 25

20200302_102220.jpg

Nice relaxed, late morning shave today. Took my time and got a nice close shave, even in the usual trouble areas. Also, I highly recommend getting you AS into glass if it isn't already. Pinaud products especially. clubman always had a slight funk on application until it was in glass for a bit. now its awesome right from the start.

Well, the month is over and I want to thank you all for playing along. Looks like only 4 of you needed to change your blade out at some point this month, which is way lower than I expected. And despite not doing daily shaves, It looks like most everyone got a solid 3 weeks worth of shaves for the month, which is really good. And remember there are no losers here. My only hope was that everyone learned something about blade longevity, and their own abilities with a blade. I hope this is just the beginning, and that you all continue to experiment with some of your other blades. And in the end, if you get just one more shave out of your blades than you used to, I call it a success!

Special congrats to @GearNoir @gvw755 and @SteveChuckFrank who, along with me, went the whole month with daily shaves!

I will do the draw for the first part of the PIF soon.

@SteveChuckFrank and @gvw755 have already qualified for the 2nd part. @GearNoir and @Jaro1069 only need one more shave to qualify. And there are a few other who only need a few more shaves to qualify (@uacowboy @Shavin’ Yeti @dkeester @DeepSea to name a few who are close) . This part of the PIF is still open to everyone that is on their first blade, you just need to complete 30 shaves, it does not matter how long that takes. I just ask that if you intend to be considered for this, to let me know you are still in it and keep posting shave updates in this thread.

Doesn't matter if you changed your mind, as long as you used the same blade all month is all that matters.
I used a new blade yesterday, so I am out of the second part.

Back