The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's blasting in your headphones?

Great song! Have you heard much of her other music? If so, how is it?

I've listened some. She's clearly very talented and well regarded by a lot of top jazzers; and a lot of folks outside the jazz realm. I can hardly argue with them!! :oops:

Most of what I prefer is last century ( :) !!) Pretty limiting, I guess. Actually, we can go from mid-50s to early 60s, say '59 to '68. If I go very specific, 1959 w/ Kind of Blue, Take Five, Portrait in Jazz and many, many more!! West Coast Jazz. Cool Jazz. Acoustic jazz more than electric or electronic. You get the idea. I'm listening to the Cannonnball Adderley with Bill Evans "Know what I mean?" disc you just put me on to! Wow!! Never heard it! Desert island discs for me would include the Bill Evans trio w/ Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian. Again, limiting with only 7 discs I'm aware of; Scott LaFaro was tragically killed in an auto crash 2 weeks after the Village Vanguard dates were recorded. Sorry for the rant! tl;dr- I like a lot of different styles and have played a lot of styles. Bill Evans w/ LaFaro and Motian; I can listen to this stuff forever. Thanks, @MarkB

@TobyC Not gonna lie, Henrix put out some great covers. Personally I think Stevie Ray did him proud with this one though:

View attachment 51495
He did, that was an interesting interpretation, but with a different mood. The Hendrix version was a deep look inside yourself thing, whereas Stevie was reaching for the sky.

That may have been due to external factors, take a listen to the '68 studio version of "IN A GADDA DA VIDA", it's deep and dark, but then listen to the live '70 version, it's a much lighter mood. In other words I think the rock music from the late '60's tended to be dark, and music after that came with a different mindset, and different life experiences.

Back