The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's blasting in your headphones?

Ever since I was a kid and started my journey into playing guitar, I would always go on what I call “kicks” with music.... I would just about only listen to the same band for a month or 2, then out of nowhere, switch to a new band or genre and a new kick would begin.... I guess it was my way to study a particular guitarist(s) style while learning to play their tunes...
so that brings us to my current kick of Iron Maiden. Nothing but Maiden for at least the last 6 weeks or so, except with a little Def Leppard mixed in when the wife would start to complain 🤷‍♂️Today has been a few of their live albums, good stuff!

Bigger Than Life

Here's a recording of an original song from a local Kalamazoo area band (no longer together as such) I used to play in a few years back.
Yours truly wrote and performed all the horn parts on this song and throughout the entire album of originals.
What a fun time this was!!!
Check out my trumpet solo on the instrumental "altro" beginning at the 3:45 minute mark.

Bigger Than Life

Here's a recording of an original song from a local Kalamazoo area band (no longer together as such) I used to play in a few years back.
Yours truly wrote and performed all the horn parts on this song and throughout the entire album of originals.
What a fun time this was!!!
Check out my trumpet solo on the instrumental "altro" beginning at the 3:45 minute mark.

Love it!

Grover Washington Jr. - "A secret Place"
'70s Jazz, Baby! (1976 Coooooolness! ... on MOTOWN Records!)

Grover on the Soprano Sax!!!
And check out Bob James on that Electric Piano!

"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the Shadow of the Almighty..........." Shall I say anymore? (Psalms 91)

Last edited:
Moved on to some Hiromi Trio Project which features my all-time favorite bassist; the mighty Anthony Jackson!

Well, and don't forget to mention that that is the great Steve Smith on drums on the first vid and Simon Phillips on the second. Two of my favorite drummers. And I feel fortunate to have been able to take my son to see Anthony Jackson at the Iridium a couple of years ago. Nothing like taking a teenage new to the electric bass to see the greats.

It's rare that I am turned onto new music that moves me as much as this album has. And to top it off, it's jazz. These young kids (I can say that since our difference in age is greater than the age of the guy who's album it is as well as the rest of the band). The drummer on the album is on a drummer forum that I frequent and he posted this to let us hear some of his recent playing. This album is blowing me away in terms of the righting, orchestration and playing. You just have to listen to it.

Well, and don't forget to mention that that is the great Steve Smith on drums on the first vid and Simon Phillips on the second. Two of my favorite drummers. And I feel fortunate to have been able to take my son to see Anthony Jackson at the Iridium a couple of years ago. Nothing like taking a teenage new to the electric bass to see the greats.
Yes sir! Two of my favorite drummers.
Man that made my day reading that about your son taking up bass!

My three all-time low-enders are Anthony Jackson, Pino Palladino and Tony Levin.

Yes sir! Two of my favorite drummers.
Man that made my day reading that about your son taking up bass!

My three all-time low-enders are Anthony Jackson, Pino Palladino and Tony Levin.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know Pino Palladino. I definitely know Tony Levin. I love his playing with Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Bozzio Levin Stevens, and his playing with Bruford. That show with Anthony on bass was awesome for me as well because while I've been hearing Anthony on all sorts of albums over the years, I had never seen him live until then. I should add that my son's "inspiration" to play the bass is Jaco. I turned him onto Stanely Clarke and he's seen him twice. And while Jaco is obviously not with us, we did go to see a show with Felix on bass. Marcus Miller, another of my favorites, was supposed to be playing in the area live but then Covid upended that gig. I could go on all day about this stuff. Play on!!! Oh yeah, and shave on too!

For Tonight, and the inspiration to learn the guitar and banjo, and Hee Haw to boot LOL

Back