The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's blasting in your headphones?

Dare I say that compared to The Other One, The Eleven and Lovelight, Dark Star and St Stephen are overrated? The Eleven is a tune that Mickey and Billy drive that propels you forward in unbridled joy. The Other One is Phil unchained.

Dare I say that compared to The Other One, The Eleven and Lovelight, Dark Star and St Stephen are overrated? The Eleven is a tune that Mickey and Billy drive that propels you forward in unbridled joy.
A time signature and a Celtic rhythm that makes the notion of time disappear. Billy turned the others on a dime even before Mickey.

Dare I say that compared to The Other One, The Eleven and Lovelight, Dark Star and St Stephen are overrated? The Eleven is a tune that Mickey and Billy drive that propels you forward in unbridled joy. The Other One is Phil unchained.
See you in The Phil Zone.

OK gentleman (and any ladies in the house).
First of all, I NEVER use headphones,... except perhaps when I am recording, but even then I fight it because it messes up my pompadour!
However, I almost ALWAYS have music playing in my vicinity (home, work, out in the yard, etc).
98.6% of the time I am listening to JAZZ, but I also occasionally listen to some old school Motown/Stax stuff, and some blues, funk, reggae, classical, and even some bluegrass.

If this is the place on the "cadre" to post what we are listening to, then here is my swinging Tuesday morning track of the moment:

Lee Morgan "The Sidewinder"
1963 Blue Note Records.
Rudy VanGelder sound engineer (of course)!

Lee Morgan - trumpet
Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
Billy Higgins - drums
Barry Harris - piano
Bob Cranshaw - bass

I also occasionally listen to some old school Motown/Stax stuf
Now you're talking!

swooning.gif

First of all, I NEVER use headphones,... except perhaps when I am recording, but even then I fight it because it messes up my pompadour!
However, I almost ALWAYS have music playing in my vicinity (home, work, out in the yard, etc).
98.6% of the time I am listening to JAZZ, but I also occasionally listen to some old school Motown/Stax stuff, and some blues, funk, reggae, classical, and even some bluegrass.

If this is the place on the "cadre" to post what we are listening to, then here is my swinging Tuesday morning track of the moment:

1963 Blue Note Records.

Lee Morgan - trumpet
Billy Higgins - drums
Barry Harris - piano
Bob Cranshaw - bass

Digging the Lee Morgan too!

Moved on to some Hiromi Trio Project which features my all-time favorite bassist; the mighty Anthony Jackson!

1963 Blue Note Records.

Lee Morgan - trumpet
Billy Higgins - drums
Barry Harris - piano
Bob Cranshaw - bass

Lee Morgan! Shot dead by his estranged wife while on stage. Now that is jazz!!!!

Now you're talking!

swooning.gif
@MarkB!
Though I love the complexity and expressive freedom of jazz improvisation, the most FUN I ever have has to be playing in Motown band! Great horn parts, great tunes, crowds just love the music (especially here in Michigan). The Temptations, the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, the Four Tops, the Jackson 5..... Hitsville USA! Those melodies and lyrics that Holland-Dozier-Holland cranked out and the impeccable GROOVE that the "Funk Brothers" musicians laid down was (and still is) amazing! Those Detroit "Funk Brothers" bassists like James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt, Michael Henderson, and Tony Newton, among others made the Motown Sound what it is!

By the way, whenever I am playing my horn in a band, I prefer to stand near the bassist, as my horn lines very much depend on the base lines! Keeps me grounded in the groove!

@MarkB!
Though I love the complexity and expressive freedom of jazz improvisation, the most FUN I ever have has to be playing in Motown band! Great horn parts, great tunes, crowds just love the music (especially here in Michigan). The Temptations, the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, the Four Tops, the Jackson 5..... Hitsville USA! Those melodies and lyrics that Holland-Dozier-Holland cranked out and the impeccable GROOVE that the "Funk Brothers" musicians laid down was (and still is) amazing! Those Detroit "Funk Brothers" bassists like James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt, Michael Henderson, and Tony Newton, among others made the Motown Sound what it is!

By the way, whenever I am playing my horn in a band, I prefer to stand near the bassist, as my horn lines very much depend on the base lines! Keeps me grounded in the groove!
Nothing better than sitting in the pocket all night!

Back