The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's blasting in your headphones?

Sorry to have been away for a few days...I was otherwise engaged with the TSC Con here in my backyard and I put much of my focus there.

But I'm back baby!!! Recharged and raring to go. Lets do this!!

A few days before the Con, I went to Rock N' Roll bingo at a great brewpub here in Vegas (Aces N Ales....go there if you're in town). Sadly the bingo was just like regular bingo but your card had band names instead of numbers and the caller would pull a bingo ball and match the number to a list she had in front of her with band names (lame!). But every so often she would give everyone a chance to win a free drink by playing a song and the first one to name the band won the free drink. She played that game 5 times and I won 3 times (I knew the answer on a 4th time but I waited to see if anyone else could come up with it because 3 free drinks is plenty for most people). But it was this song that made people stunned that I got it so fast. There's a single note struck at the top of the song that lasts for 2 seconds. The note hadn't finished before I said "Def Leppard". The caller and the room were stunned.

Don't mess with me and Rock N Roll name that tune.

Sorry to have been away for a few days...I was otherwise engaged with the TSC Con here in my backyard and I put much of my focus there.

But I'm back baby!!! Recharged and raring to go. Lets do this!!

A few days before the Con, I went to Rock N' Roll bingo at a great brewpub here in Vegas (Aces N Ales....go there if you're in town). Sadly the bingo was just like regular bingo but your card had band names instead of numbers and the caller would pull a bingo ball and match the number to a list she had in front of her with band names (lame!). But every so often she would give everyone a chance to win a free drink by playing a song and the first one to name the band won the free drink. She played that game 5 times and I won 3 times (I knew the answer on a 4th time but I waited to see if anyone else could come up with it because 3 free drinks is plenty for most people). But it was this song that made people stunned that I got it so fast. There's a single note struck at the top of the song that lasts for 2 seconds. The note hadn't finished before I said "Def Leppard". The caller and the room were stunned.

Don't mess with me and Rock N Roll name that tune.

morecowbell.jpg

Rick Allen should be in the Cowbell Hall of Fame.

This is his drum rig and you can clearly see his much used cowbell. (it has a DENT in it!!)

cb823da69cd1135de2dbec65ec8c3665.jpg

Written about a female bass player in a band that they played with in Boston, Pat DiNizio had a crush......like we all do sometimes.

I've seen The Smithereens twice, once was just a solo acoustic show that Pat put on in a small bar in Las Vegas (only about 20 people were there!) and he chatted with us between songs. It was one of those really cool moments to see the guy that wrote these songs get lost in a memory for a moment and just smile and say, "you had to be there" and then give him an extra big smile when I replied, "feels like we are". His reply, "thanks for that". He died a year later. Thanks for the stories and the music, Pat.

So....I was looking for a song by the band Scandal (featuring the amazing Patty Smyth) last night and found this instead.

To say I was confused was an understatement. How could another band use the same name as a band from the 80's? Further digging (and a phone call to my wife's cousin, who is Japanese culture obsessed....he's bringing me their entire catalog this weekend) and I found out that they used the name of the rehearsal studio they used to practice in, which was called Scandal and didn't know there was another band by that name (kids!). But they've actually heard from Patty Smyth (who is now a fan of theirs) who gave them her blessing to use the name.

Its a great pop song even without having any idea what they're singing.

So....I was looking for a song by the band Scandal (featuring the amazing Patty Smyth) last night and found this instead.

To say I was confused was an understatement. How could another band use the same name as a band from the 80's? Further digging (and a phone call to my wife's cousin, who is Japanese culture obsessed....he's bringing me their entire catalog this weekend) and I found out that they used the name of the rehearsal studio they used to practice in, which was called Scandal and didn't know there was another band by that name (kids!). But they've actually heard from Patty Smyth (who is now a fan of theirs) who gave them her blessing to use the name.

Its a great pop song even without having any idea what they're singing.
Love it! Japan... The gift to the world that keeps on giving!

I absolutely love this performance. As you watch it, keep in mind that Adele grew up going to concerts at the Royal Albert Hall and she was now standing where all her favorite bands and singers had once stood. And she's belting out her most personal song she's ever written....and then she asks the crowd to sing the song for her. You can see her emotions just flood over her. Its a very powerful moment that catches my breath every time. You can hear her voice start to crack as the weight of the moment and the memory of the particulars of the song meet in a single cosmic alignment. Its right when she sings the line "who would have known how bittersweet this could taste".

Stunningly beautiful moment.

Back