The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

I made a recipe I've made twice before. Split Pea Soup. I used the hocks from the ham we had at Easter that I had stuck in the freezer until now. This time I wised up and made a double recipe. It says it serves 6 but the three of us finished most of it in one sitting both times before. We like big bowls of soup. So I made enough for 12 which means we'll have enough for another meal each. And I was able to get a huge amount of ham off that bone after it simmered in there for over an hour. And this time I made my life so much easier. Instead of taking the soup out and pureeing it in a food processor, I just took one of those hand held things and pureed it right in the pot and then added the ham back in. Really a simple recipe. The double recipe is two large onions chopped, two cups of chopped carrots, two cups of chopped celery, saute the onions, carrots and celery in 4 tablespoons of butter for about 10 minutes until tender. Add 4 teaspoons of marjoram, put the ham hocks in, cooke for about a minute, add 16 cups of water and 3 cups of dried split peas. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour and 10 minutes, stirring often. Take out the ham, remove the good meat and dice it up. Toss it back in, season with salt and pepper and viola! Some good eatin'. Or slurpin'. Nothing to see. Just green liquid with little lumps of ham in there.

I made a recipe I've made twice before. Split Pea Soup. I used the hocks from the ham we had at Easter that I had stuck in the freezer until now. This time I wised up and made a double recipe. It says it serves 6 but the three of us finished most of it in one sitting both times before. We like big bowls of soup. So I made enough for 12 which means we'll have enough for another meal each. And I was able to get a huge amount of ham off that bone after it simmered in there for over an hour. And this time I made my life so much easier. Instead of taking the soup out and pureeing it in a food processor, I just took one of those hand held things and pureed it right in the pot and then added the ham back in. Really a simple recipe. The double recipe is two large onions chopped, two cups of chopped carrots, two cups of chopped celery, saute the onions, carrots and celery in 4 tablespoons of butter for about 10 minutes until tender. Add 4 teaspoons of marjoram, put the ham hocks in, cooke for about a minute, add 16 cups of water and 3 cups of dried split peas. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour and 10 minutes, stirring often. Take out the ham, remove the good meat and dice it up. Toss it back in, season with salt and pepper and viola! Some good eatin'. Or slurpin'. Nothing to see. Just green liquid with little lumps of ham in there.
Good man! It’s not a proper pea soup without ham!

Back