The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

First, I'll just say I'm an idiot. I keep forgetting to take pictures. And I've been cooking up a storm, as I'm sure everyone else has as well. Last night I made something I don't think I made before. Cornish Game Hens. I basically roasted them with some rosemary and lemon in the cavity and surrounded by about 25 whole cloves of garlic and used white wine and chicken broth as a basting sauce. I know they are supposed to be single serve but we are trying to watch our waists so I made two of them for the three of us and just cut them in half. I still have one half left over so I'll take a pic of it when I heat it up to eat. To accompany the hens I made roasted carmelized root vegetables. Not sure how carmelized they turned out but I just roasted some potatoes, carrots, onions and celery that had been tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme in a white ceramic roasting dish. I also made some basmati/jasmine rice combo to go with it. Wife isn't a big fan of cornish game hens but my son seemed to think they were really good. I'll post a pic of the one half that's left.

And then tonight I made another dish I never made before. Shrimp fried rice. Basically just some rice (duh), shrimp (another duh), carrots, corn (I wanted to use peas but didn't have any), scallions, sesame oil and scrambled egg and I have to say it came out good as well. I could have used more soy sauce. The wife thought it needed more salt, and I felt it needed a little more flavor, which the soy sauce would have provided in both cases. I did forget one very important ingredient that I saw listed in a different recipe: garlic. That would have imparted a fair amount of added flavor to it. Next time. There is very little left over but if I end up eating the left overs, I'll take a pic of it in the bowl.

Back