The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

Made split pea soup yesterday. My second attempt after a successful first attempt. But I couldn't find any ham hocks. So I just bought a package of thick cut Oscar Myer smoked bacon. Very simple recipe. Basically just saute some chopped onions, carrots and celery (about a cup or more of each) in some butter, then add about a cup and a half of dried split peas and some marjoram. Add the bacon and 8 cups of water, bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour and a half (I shortened it to 45 minutes because of the missing ham hocks). Remove the bacon. I trimmed much of the solid white fat and then diced up the ham. Pureed the soup mixture and returned it to the pot, added back the diced ham, salt and pepper to taste. Served it with some crescent rolls. No pic because it didn't really translate. Just a bowl of green stuff. But it was pretty good.

Are those eggs in your bread??
Yup...the eggs get baked with the bread...some kind of Italian Tradition or something. According to my wife..."the wreath symbolizes the crown of thorns, and the braid symbolizes the Holy Trinity. Eggs baked into the bread symbolize rebirth and Christ rising from the dead."

Back