The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

I forgot to post last night that we decided to have In-n-Out burger for dinner last minute. It’s been a while. Suffice to say, I was already half way through the meal before I stopped to think to take a picture...it was glorious.

I forgot to post last night that we decided to have In-n-Out burger for dinner last minute. It’s been a while. Suffice to say, I was already half way through the meal before I stopped to think to take a picture...it was glorious.
my wife has been dying for Subway. she is apparently picking up all the ingredients for her sandwich to be made at home this weekend lol.

I am baking something like 2 loaves of bread per week right now and I’m maintaining wheat-based and rye-based sourdough cultures. One upside to being stuck at home is that I can do really ambitious bread bakes that I really have no time for under normal circumstances. This week I’m making a sourdough leavened batter based rye loaf that the Frisian culture of northern Germany made. I’ll post a picture when it’s done tomorrow.

I am baking something like 2 loaves of bread per week right now and I’m maintaining wheat-based and rye-based sourdough cultures. One upside to being stuck at home is that I can do really ambitious bread bakes that I really have no time for under normal circumstances. This week I’m making a sourdough leavened batter based rye loaf that the Frisian culture of northern Germany made. I’ll post a picture when it’s done tomorrow.

It just went in the oven. 2 hours to go.

It just went in the oven. 2 hours to go.

Success!

2EABC79E-C60F-40F3-BF6E-1B76D4D6B068.jpeg
This is a loaf that is about half rye and half wheat flour, leavened only with sourdough. It’s a bit of a production, taking almost 24 hours from start to finish. I haven’t tasted it yet, but it looks promising. After all of the steps, you have a thick batter that you pour into a Pullman loaf pan (straight rectangle with a lid). I let it rise too much before putting it in the oven, as it overflowed and leaked out of the pan. Never had that happen before.

In any case, I rescued it and tasted the bread that cooked up after it leaked out and it was mighty tasty. I think it should be pretty good.

Back