The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

We'll cook turkey tomorrow when the nephew comes over. With just three of us today, we had large scallops (garlic, butter, and a squeeze of lemon at the end), shrimp in tomato paste and veggies, and fried rice. A wonderful meal (VERY rich!!); having seconds has us all stuffed!
1577321022870.png

My doctor wants me to cut down on saturated fats, including red meat...and I’m supposed to start taking fish oil. Sad day. :(

That’s what I get for going to the doctor for the first time in many years:ROFLMAO:
Hey...I'm not one to go against the doc...okay...well sometimes I am. adding fish oil is always a good idea. But I always find the idea of limiting red meat hilarious. So what is it about red meat that needs to be limited. The one thing that is always brought up is Saturated Fat. Look I am not saying that you should eat all beef all the time. But to say that saturated fat is completely bad is really doing everyone a dis-service. Fish has saturated fat, so does chicken, as matter of fact...every living organism has saturated fat...including plants. The problem with high triglycerides (which I am assuming is why the doc told you to start taking fish oil) is that comes largely from the over consumption of highly refined carbohydrates.

Another note...if it is high triglycerides that you are concerned about, ask your doc about Vascepa. Think of it like fish oil on roids. Even if your insurance doesn't pay for it, the manufacturer has a discount card that allows you to pay only $9.00 a month. It's a good deal. The company has done some other tests on the stuff and Vascepa is getting ready to be used for other benefits also.

Okay...sorry for the soap box...I know others don't adhere to my views. But I just wanted to say my bit. I just find that many doctors get caught up in old science.

My decision to reduce red meat is purely based on taste. I find myself actually preferring some veggie burgers (M&M's offering) over beef burgers. Wife thinks I am strange as well, but she sort of knew that already.

Is there fish in spam?
I dunno...it is the ultimate mystery meat for sure... :unsure:
Hey...I'm not one to go against the doc...okay...well sometimes I am. adding fish oil is always a good idea. But I always find the idea of limiting red meat hilarious. So what is it about red meat that needs to be limited. The one thing that is always brought up is Saturated Fat. Look I am not saying that you should eat all beef all the time. But to say that saturated fat is completely bad is really doing everyone a dis-service. Fish has saturated fat, so does chicken, as matter of fact...every living organism has saturated fat...including plants. The problem with high triglycerides (which I am assuming is why the doc told you to start taking fish oil) is that comes largely from the over consumption of highly refined carbohydrates.

Another note...if it is high triglycerides that you are concerned about, ask your doc about Vascepa. Think of it like fish oil on roids. Even if your insurance doesn't pay for it, the manufacturer has a discount card that allows you to pay only $9.00 a month. It's a good deal. The company has done some other tests on the stuff and Vascepa is getting ready to be used for other benefits also.

Okay...sorry for the soap box...I know others don't adhere to my views. But I just wanted to say my bit. I just find that many doctors get caught up in old science.
Thanks for the info! I’m clueless for the most part. I’ll try the fish oils for now though.

The doc really stressed the meat issue when he was talking. The funny thing is though, I don’t think I eat that much red meat. We have mostly chicken; occasionally we’ll do hamburgers or some kind of sauced deal with sliced beef. I’ll have to look up a common list, because it must be something else.

I was more happy that I show no signals for diabetes/pre-diabetes, which is can be an issue on my mother’s side of the family.

I made soup tonight. I had never made soup before. We had ham on Christmas and I had the shank left over with lots of meat on it. So, I made Split Pea Soup. Pretty simple actually. All you do is saute some chopped onions, celery and carrots in a little butter in a large pot, add the dried split peas, some marjoram and water. Drop the entire ham shank in there, bring it to a boil and let it cook stirring often for 70 minutes. You take the shank out and trim off the good meat and dice it and set it aside. You then take the soup mixture and puree it in a food processor until nice and smooth. Put it all back in the pot, add the diced ham, salt and pepper to taste and voile. Big thumbs up from both the wife and son. In fact, I believe I heard the words "delicious" and "mmmmmmm" several times. And the kid is a foodie. Has no problem telling me when something I made sucked. Fortunately I don't hear that very often.

Back