The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

Since last Thursday I've been eating turkey, yams, stuffing and cranberry sauce on rye. Absolutely delicious but after a while, you want something else. With the winter storm bearing down on us, and which we are now in the middle of, the wife suggested I make some stew. She has a recipe that she always follows that has kalamata olives and carrots and potatoes and it is ok. I'm not the biggest fan. I was looking for something, I don't know, better. So I found a recipe on Food & Wine's website for Beef Stew in Red Wine Sauce. It called for either flatiron or chuck. I've never seen flatiron around here and I'm not a huge fan of chuck as I find it too tough. That's what my wife uses all the time. Looking for something more tender I bought 3 pounds of tenderloin. It called for baby carrots, cippolini or pearl onions. Couldn't find the cipollinis so went with pearl. Chopped onions as well, along with some pancetta and crimini mushrooms. The meat gets browned in butter and olive oil, and then chopped onions and garlic are added. Then a bottle and a half of red wine is added to the cooked mixture and reduced before being popped into the oven for an hour and a half in a covered stock pot. No water is added. Then the pearl onions, carrots, pancetta are cooked in a covered cast iron pan with some water and oil until nicely browned. That is all then tossed into the meat mixture and served. OMG. Usually when eating my wife's stew I need a steak knife to cut the meat because it's kind of chewy. My tenderloin just came apart with a little poking with a fork. And they were large pieces as per the instructions. I cooked some basmati rice to go with it. My wife, her sister and my son all raved about how great it was. That put my wife on the defensive a little because this recipe was more work than hers. But the result was far superior. I'll definitely be making this again. The only thing I'll do a little differently is to go searching for cipollini onions instead of pearl onions. They do taste different and much better in my opinion when I've had them. And I'll enjoy eating the leftovers with all this snow we've got. I didn't take pics (yeah I know. No pics, it never happened) so I'll take a pic of the leftovers when I heat it up. I highly recommend this recipe. And the tenderloin made the dish. How can you go wrong with good quality meat, lots of red wine, and amazing vegetables?

Last edited:
We take our leftovers, at least once or twice after T-day and wrap up little leftover croissants - unroll the squares, make a little pile on each of turkey/ham, stuffing/potatoes, cranberry, and whatever else you got, roll em up, bake em, scarf em!

We take our leftovers, at least once or twice after T-day and wrap up little leftover croissants - unroll the squares, make a little pile on each of turkey/ham, stuffing/potatoes, cranberry, and whatever else you got, roll em up, bake em, scarf em!

Thanks for that suggestion. Our guests and family usually take home tons of the leftovers leaving us with very little. This year I have a large zip lock freezer bag totally filled with turkey. I'm going to use the dinner rolls we have in the fridge and cook them up stuffed with all of it. Great idea Chris!

Since last Thursday I've been eating turkey, yams, stuffing and cranberry sauce on rye. Absolutely delicious but after a while, you want something else. With the winter storm bearing down on us, and which we are now in the middle of, the wife suggested I make some stew. She has a recipe that she always follows that has kalamata olives and carrots and potatoes and it is ok. I'm not the biggest fan. I was looking for something, I don't know, better. So I found a recipe on Food & Wine's website for Beef Stew in Red Wine Sauce. It called for either flatiron or chuck. I've never seen flatiron around here and I'm not a huge fan of chuck as I find it too tough. That's what my wife uses all the time. Looking for something more tender I bought 3 pounds of tenderloin. It called for baby carrots, cippolini or pearl onions. Couldn't find the cipollinis so went with pearl. Chopped onions as well, along with some pancetta and crimini mushrooms. The meat gets browned in butter and olive oil, and then chopped onions and garlic are added. Then a bottle and a half of red wine is added to the cooked mixture and reduced before being popped into the oven for an hour and a half in a covered stock pot. No water is added. Then the pearl onions, carrots, pancetta are cooked in a covered cast iron pan with some water and oil until nicely browned. That is all then tossed into the meat mixture and served. OMG. Usually when eating my wife's stew I need a steak knife to cut the meat because it's kind of chewy. My tenderloin just came apart with a little poking with a fork. And they were large pieces as per the instructions. I cooked some basmati rice to go with it. My wife, her sister and my son all raved about how great it was. That put my wife on the defensive a little because this recipe was more work than hers. But the result was far superior. I'll definitely be making this again. The only thing I'll do a little differently is to go searching for cipollini onions instead of pearl onions. They do taste different and much better in my opinion when I've had them. And I'll enjoy eating the leftovers with all this snow we've got. I didn't take pics (yeah I know. No pics, it never happened) so I'll take a pic of the leftovers when I heat it up. I highly recommend this recipe. And the tenderloin made the dish. How can you go wrong with good quality meat, lots of red wine, and amazing vegetables?

I was watching a cooking show a couple of weeks ago. That made a red wine beef stew. It looked really good.

Been wanting to make it up. Even though I don't have the recipe. Thanks for letting us know where to find a good one at.

Back