The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

I keep forgetting to take pictures of my cooking. Made sea scallops again yesterday. I did learn something valuable about how to properly sear them. They need to be as dry as possible. That way, there isn't too much liquid that prevents the browning process. I made about 30 of them for the three of us in a cast iron skillet. I have to admit I was never a monster fan of them. I liked them but wasn't gah gah over them. But done this way with a little olive oil, salt and pepper I could eat these babies every day. Little delicious protein balls.
Good tip on drying them for a better sear (y)

@Cvargo

I don't know what weird kind of cookie experiments you all have there, but that looks like a dollop of mustard and mayonaise on a hamburger patty....

View attachment 8787Gross!
And your point is sir? 🙂

Selling Burger Cookies?
MMM...Burger Cookies!

“California” breakfast burrito!

View attachment 8961
It ain't a burrito if you are eating it with a fork. It looks like a plump quesadilla to me.

Cold day so needed PHO

{not my picture}

93679.jpg
May not be your pic...but man that looks good right now!

Tried something different tonight
View attachment 9014
SPAM MUSUBI!!!

I keep forgetting to take pictures of my cooking. Made sea scallops again yesterday. I did learn something valuable about how to properly sear them. They need to be as dry as possible. That way, there isn't too much liquid that prevents the browning process. I made about 30 of them for the three of us in a cast iron skillet. I have to admit I was never a monster fan of them. I liked them but wasn't gah gah over them. But done this way with a little olive oil, salt and pepper I could eat these babies every day. Little delicious protein balls.

Scallops done right is like eating candy...but they are easy to turn into pencil erasers too. Sounds like you did them right!

And your point is sir? 🙂

MMM...Burger Cookies!

It ain't a burrito if you are eating it with a fork. It looks like a plump quesadilla to me.

May not be your pic...but man that looks good right now!

SPAM MUSUBI!!!

Scallops done right is like eating candy...but they are easy to turn into pencil erasers too. Sounds like you did them right!

There is nothing worse than overcooked scallops. But lucky for me they came out tender and sweet. I started with a couple packages from Trader Joe’s. They tend to have some good stuff.

I forgot to take pics AGAIN! I guess I just get so into the act of cooking and focus in on that at the expense of everything else. Anyway, tonight I took a pork tenderloin, actually there were two in the package, and marinated it in teriyaki, soy and worchestershire sauce, minced garlic and thyme. I then cooked it up on the grill like I did the Hatfield premartinated ones. This marinade is pretty much my go to marinade for tougher cuts of steak like skirt or hanger or flank. My accompaniment was small little baby potatoes cut in half with some onion cooked in a cast iron skillet with some olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic, balsamic vinegar and honey. I put a cover on the skillet and let it cook for a while. The tenderloin came out like it's namesake...juicy and tender. I'm really liking cooking it this way. We used to always use the slow cooker and it would always come out more dry, which I find counterintuitive since it's sitting in liquid while it cooks. I tried to buy more of the Hatfield Texas Smokehouse BBQ and the Montreal Style marinated pork loin but Shoprite where I bought them before only had a pork roast. So I told the customer service desk that I didn't appreciate them turning me onto something excruciatingly delicious, only to then pull it from their shelves. That's just not fair. We'll see if they restock it. If not, I'll just have to find another place to buy my produce. I haven't been happy with Shoprite's produce lately. Great for canned packaged foods but not so much for the fresh stuff. These should be my biggest problems in life.

I forgot to take pics AGAIN! I guess I just get so into the act of cooking and focus in on that at the expense of everything else. Anyway, tonight I took a pork tenderloin, actually there were two in the package, and marinated it in teriyaki, soy and worchestershire sauce, minced garlic and thyme. I then cooked it up on the grill like I did the Hatfield premartinated ones. This marinade is pretty much my go to marinade for tougher cuts of steak like skirt or hanger or flank. My accompaniment was small little baby potatoes cut in half with some onion cooked in a cast iron skillet with some olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic, balsamic vinegar and honey. I put a cover on the skillet and let it cook for a while. The tenderloin came out like it's namesake...juicy and tender. I'm really liking cooking it this way. We used to always use the slow cooker and it would always come out more dry, which I find counterintuitive since it's sitting in liquid while it cooks. I tried to buy more of the Hatfield Texas Smokehouse BBQ and the Montreal Style marinated pork loin but Shoprite where I bought them before only had a pork roast. So I told the customer service desk that I didn't appreciate them turning me onto something excruciatingly delicious, only to then pull it from their shelves. That's just not fair. We'll see if they restock it. If not, I'll just have to find another place to buy my produce. I haven't been happy with Shoprite's produce lately. Great for canned packaged foods but not so much for the fresh stuff. These should be my biggest problems in life.
Until we see pictures, your food posts get sad faces.

I'm spoiled, my wife makes everything scratch. I eat anything out of a box and it just tastes bad to me. Her chocolate cake sits in your stomach like a pleasant cannon ball because it's so moist. I don't think I've had anything out of box for the almost 20 years that we've been married. Funny thing is that when we were engaged she worried and told me she couldn't cook. I told her that she was excellent at following directions and that's all cooking is, that I knew she could cook, bake and do anything she put her mind to in that area. I haven't had a bad meal, not one bad meal in all our years of marriage.

I am a Kraft crack addict.... and proud of it! 😜

I also love that stuff. I would take at least enough for one meal with me on every backpacking trip I ever went on. I don't even bother putting any on a plate. I can eat it out of the pot. My wife is having a party with a country theme to it. Years and years ago I had taken a stab at making my own mac and cheese. I remember it had 4 or 5 different cheeses and it came out so smooth and creamy yet a nice crust on top. She loved it. And that night she proceeded to come down with a stomach virus. No, it wasn't the mac and cheese. As a result just the thought of mac and cheese made her sick. Until now. She said she thinks enough time has passed that it's time for me have another go at it. So I've been perusing the recipes online and found two that sound pretty good. I'm going to utilize some of each recipe to hopefully make a tasty, creamy, crusty, delicious batch of mac and cheese for this party. Crossing my fingers.

Back