The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

I've been hearing people talk about their cast iron pans lately so I decided to do some steak. I'm still learning how to properly use my cast iron. Tonight I made some skirt steak with a scallion sauce. The sauce was basically scallions that have been browned up in the cast iron pan, some chopped walnuts, thyme, cornichons, shredded garlic, red wine vinegar, brown mustard, salt and pepper. The steaks just had some olive oil, salt and pepper on them. It came out ok. A little different but not something I'd rave about. The steak came out nice though. Of course, yet again, I only got a shot of the steak in the beginning of cooking. As an accompaniment I made my famous basmati rice with some chicken bouillon and butter. Definitely tasty. And very little steak left for tomorrow.

IMG_1248.jpeg

Was in the mood for pork loin again and went to the supermarket looking for the Hatfield Texas Smokehouse BBQ. They were out. But they had MONTREAL STYLE DRY RUB SEASONED PORK LOIN FILET. Threw that baby on the grill and holy mother of god it tasted amazing. I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of Hatfield products. I'd love to try their Savory Brown Sugar and their Smokey Balsamic seasoned pork loins. Every time I've made them, we finish it all. No leftovers.

image.png

I decided to make my own marinade for the salmon tonight instead of buying a bottle of marinade specifically for salmon. I like the one I bought previously but felt better making my own. Nothing too adventurous. Soy sauce, honey, olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper. Defrosting about 2 pounds of wild caught coho salmon. I'll cook them up on cedar planks on the grill. Came out real nice last time.

False alarm. I have to delay my salmon dinner until tomorrow. Wife went to console a friend and they ended up getting something to eat to get her out of the house. And the son is off with his girlfriend. That just means it will marinate for a good long time and be that much tastier tomorrow.

Where's the sushi? 😁
There’s a couple bits of California Roll in there...but my last major 24 hr flu was right after eating a couple rolls...needless to say, even though it was over a year ago, I haven’t touched the stuff since lol.

Back