The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

There’s a couple bits of California Roll in there...but my last major 24 hr flu was right after eating a couple rolls...needless to say, even though it was over a year ago, I haven’t touched the stuff since lol.

Oh yeah. Food paired with stomach ailments can really wreak havoc on your mind. Stuff you absolutely love may never get eaten again. My wife had that issue. I found this amazing macaroni and cheese recipe. It had something like three or four or even five different cheeses in it and was finished in the oven to bake it and brown the top to form a delectable crust. My wife absolutely loved it. Called it the best mac and cheese she's ever had. That night she got hit with some sort of stomach bug. She won't touch mac and cheese ever again. Not to split hairs but I don't feel california rolls are sushi. I guess they may be technically. But as I'm more of a sashimi guy, the rice has to at least have some sort of real raw fish inside it somewhere. The fake crab made out of cooked cold pollock just doesn't cut it for me. I will eat it because sometimes I'm in the mood and if done right can taste good. You get a pass because of your unfortunate experience. So sorry.

@Cvargo

I don't know what weird kind of cookie experiments you all have there, but that looks like a dollop of mustard and mayonaise on a hamburger patty....

Gross!
You're not helping! I'm going to talk Chad into coming out here and starting up a franchise. We're going to make millions!

I'm not sure how that's a "California" burrito when I don't see any french fries.

I'm not sure how that's a "California" burrito when I don't see any french fries.
I wasn’t sure what qualified it as that either, but it’s scrambled eggs, pico de gallo, guacamole, and hash browns all rolled up in a seared/crisped flour tortilla with some mild green salsa on the side. It was pretty good, considering I’m not a huge avocado fan and there was quite a thick layer of it inside. Fresh tasting and much lighter on the stomach than I expected.

Well it certainly does look good. I’ve never ordered a “California” anything when the term applied to adding French fries.

Cold day so needed PHO

{not my picture}

93679.jpg

Spam sushi? And I thought our ethnic food up here was wack.
This is a Hawaiian thing from what I understand. Gotta say, its pretty awesome. I have 10 more made and wrapped in the fridge. Those were the first 2. The rest came out much nicer looking.

And I figured @GearNoir would like that lol.

This is a Hawaiian thing from what I understand. Gotta say, its pretty awesome. I have 10 more made and wrapped in the fridge. Those were the first 2. The rest came out much nicer looking.

And I figured @GearNoir would like that lol.
Easy to make and plenty easy to diversify if you want choices. For instance, adding a fried egg on the rice before putting on the spam and wrapping it! Or if you like it saucier...soak the dang thing with some squirts of teriyaki sauce!

I keep forgetting to take pictures of my cooking. Made sea scallops again yesterday. I did learn something valuable about how to properly sear them. They need to be as dry as possible. That way, there isn't too much liquid that prevents the browning process. I made about 30 of them for the three of us in a cast iron skillet. I have to admit I was never a monster fan of them. I liked them but wasn't gah gah over them. But done this way with a little olive oil, salt and pepper I could eat these babies every day. Little delicious protein balls.

Back