The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

So what's the difference between a crumpet and an English muffin
The biggest difference in my opinion is that a crumpet is more of the consistency of a thick pancake, sort of. It's spongy and a bit absorbent. As an English muffin is more of a bread like texture. Crumpets are are cooked completely on a griddle (can be warmed latter on in a toaster) where an EM is cooked on a griddle and finished in the oven. EM are dusted with cornmeal or flour. Crumpets are not. A single EM is usually split into half. You do not split crumpets.

I like both a lot...but crumpets really good sometimes. If you have a Trader Joe's near by, they usually have them. Though I find that that run out sometimes.

I feel your pain... I've tried to restart Keto several times in the last month, but the cookies.....
Trying to get on a strict diet of any kind during November and December is REALLY hard. I find it best to try to mitigate as best as you can. It doesn't always workout...but I haven't gained back all my weight either. Implementing intermittent fasting even if you are not eating the best. Or pick days that you know you will eat better than others. I really try to make an effort to make sure my lunches at work are smaller and healthier. Of course the doofas on the other side of the office who brings in boudin balls and the other person who brings in cupcakes and cookies can go to hell! 🤪

Trying to get on a strict diet of any kind during November and December is REALLY hard. I find it best to try to mitigate as best as you can. It doesn't always workout...but I haven't gained back all my weight either. Implementing intermittent fasting even if you are not eating the best. Or pick days that you know you will eat better than others. I really try to make an effort to make sure my lunches at work are smaller and healthier. Of course the doofas on the other side of the office who brings in boudin balls and the other person who brings in cupcakes and cookies can go to hell! 🤪
Yep, I'm still down about 30 lbs on last year, I think lol. I have been only drinking coffee in the morning and having lunch at about 2 and eating Ketoish, so low carb. SO, I'm doing something positive!

Good job DON!

The biggest difference in my opinion is that a crumpet is more of the consistency of a thick pancake, sort of. It's spongy and a bit absorbent. As an English muffin is more of a bread like texture. Crumpets are are cooked completely on a griddle (can be warmed latter on in a toaster) where an EM is cooked on a griddle and finished in the oven. EM are dusted with cornmeal or flour. Crumpets are not. A single EM is usually split into half. You do not split crumpets.

I like both a lot...but crumpets really good sometimes. If you have a Trader Joe's near by, they usually have them. Though I find that that run out sometimes.
Thanks for that. I've never had a crumpet, never seen any in stores, or even at a restaurant. I didn't even know what they looked like. But now I'm curious they sound yummy!

Soy milk is not milk, It is Soy Juice LOL, and the best way to implement a good diet during the holidays is get a bad medical diagnosis, LOL. Amazing how that works

Make a pancake using soy milk and you will get the rubbery texture of a crumpet.
Do not buy soy milk! And a good crumpet is definitely not rubbery.
But then you have to buy soy milk.
My thoughts too!
Soy milk is not milk, It is Soy Juice LOL, and the best way to implement a good diet during the holidays is get a bad medical diagnosis, LOL. Amazing how that works
This guy gets it!

Hmmmm I guess my loaf is not doing anyone any favors. Here it is in all its glory. That crumb is pretty good and tastes great. Made a quick breakfast sandwich to test it out. This is a new sourdough starter I got from a neighbor so excited to give it some usage.

50456CEB-9F54-4E1F-986C-35767CE0877D.jpeg

18E75151-43CA-48A5-93D9-07972D4F1542.jpeg

Diabetics or low carb folks can’t have pizza?
Wanna bet LOL. Marcos Pizza, does pizza in a bowl not crust, however some pork rinds and it works 18 carbs per serving ( 2 Servings) and all the pizza goodness so i have dinner for tomorrow as well

2A7EC688-5463-4EBD-B66A-17D6C6389FAE.jpeg

So not sure if I mentioned this before… I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Apparently I like food too much. I try to make it as yummy as possible that won’t spike the blood sugar.

Below is pasta made Banza. It’s a chickpea based pasta and solid alternative to regular pasta without the huge spike in blood sugar.

I rendered some bacon and then used the fatto cook some garlic and onions. Added some olive oil to add some more oil and flavor.

Removed bacon and garlic. Added some heavy cream, a cup of pecorino cheese, and some truffle oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Cut up some bacon for garnish and crunch.

Salad is just an escarole salad with oil+vinegar.

E250CF91-09CF-4017-8EFA-E2548BF96124.jpeg

So not sure if I mentioned this before… I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Apparently I like food too much. I try to make it as yummy as possible that won’t spike the blood sugar.

Below is pasta made Banza. It’s a chickpea based pasta and solid alternative to regular pasta without the huge spike in blood sugar.

I rendered some bacon and then used the fatto cook some garlic and onions. Added some olive oil to add some more oil and flavor.

Removed bacon and garlic. Added some heavy cream, a cup of pecorino cheese, and some truffle oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Cut up some bacon for garnish and crunch.

Salad is just an escarole salad with oil+vinegar.

View attachment 70216
My family uses Banza occasionally due to a gluten allergy in our home. It’s a good pasta alternative! Does take some getting used to though.

My family uses Banza occasionally due to a gluten allergy in our home. It’s a good pasta alternative! Does take some getting used to though.
For someone who loves all things pasta, it’s a bit different but I’ll take it. Until I find a better alternative, long live the Banza. I do hear some of the black bean alternative pastas ain’t bad.

So when I first got diagnosed, I did a major purge and a major purchase of Banza pasta (15 boxes worth). Until I run out, no new pasta will be purchased.

Back