The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Les Bains Gerbois 1979 New Wave
I'm sure Mark can tell us all the great music that came out in 1979, I just know I liked New Wave at the time and for that reason alone find this to be a sentimental favorite. It also smells great, mint and orris give an almost plastic vibe.

View attachment 135251
'79 was a great year for music. Disco was dying out and the second wave of Punk Rock was flipping its collective middle finger at the socio political landscape. Some of my favorite music to come from that year were Pink Floyd's The Wall, Tome Petty and the Heartbreakers with Damn the Torpedoes, London Calling by The Clash & Michael Jackson's Off the Wall.

Czech and Speake - Cuba
I'm taking a break from fragrance purchases for the most part, and the break is helping me find what I personally appreciate. C&S is definitely not on most frag heads radar but it should be.Certainly should be on any frag/shave heads list, as the ones I have all just have such a fantastic shaving cream base. Maybe that's not the cool thing now, but who cares, these are comfort scents for me. I'm just finding myself drawn to the them more and more. I currently have three from the house, and would be hard pressed to say which is best, but that they all have that barbershop base thing down pat.
In the case of Cuba it adds a deep, rich and, leathery tobacco note, reminding me of a more subtle and well barbershop, Pierre Guillaume Animal Mondain.

Czech & Speake Cuba.jpg

Pierre Guillaume - Yuzu ab Irato
Yeah, this is becoming a real favorite of mine. Funny I didn't like it on the first wearing, as it goes to a sort of old fashioned musky thing after the brilliant citrus opening, but now I love both parts equally. Some fragrances are like relationships, you have to stick with them long enough to love them.

Pierre Guillaume Yuzu ab Irato.jpg

Costume National - Cyber Garden
Lovely musky green. It's an Antoine Lee creation, who's know for going a little outside the box. The outside thing here is a 'vinyl' note, which works really well here, and makes this a great homage to retro greens, while feeling as modern as the name.

Costume National Cyber Garden.jpeg

Mona di Orio - Santa Nabataea
Probably the best post Mysore sandalwood ban, sandalwood scent I've tried. This is all about woody, dusty, oily, sandalwood, and all the supporting notes accentuate the note, rather than the usual sandalwood supporting the rest of the scent. I had to hunt this one down, as it's sadly been disco'd but it was worth it as it's a special note for me.

Mona di Orio Santal Nabataea.jpg

Back