The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Saturday:
Frederic Malle Monsieur

1698788396830.jpeg 1698788445353.jpeg 1698788494408.jpeg

Beast mode patchouli of the highest quality. I only wear this for special occasions, and it's been a few years since I last wore it. Saturday we went to the Estonia ballet, a real old school ballet, where perfume never feels optional for me. I was afraid of gassing the house out, so only went with one spray. That was the perfect pitch in the hotel room but with all the garlic drenched babushkas around us, I wish I went a little heavier on the trigger.
The opening is the most purified green patch monster ever, and so beautiful if you love patchouli. It goes woodier over time, almost feeling like an oud, but the aromatic nature of patchouli is constantly on show here. It's a love hate, but it's the only Malle I've fallen for, thank god.
At Malle prices I only have a 10 ml bottle of this, but at one or two sprays being all I need, it may as well be 100 ml for how long it will last.

Sunday:
Carner Barcelona Botafumero

This is a lovely, very Spanish take on an incense amber. Slightly sweet, like a candied orange, a touch of spice and imbedded in frankincense. Really a hidden gem, glad I finally got to check this house out, there will be more. I love the vibe of this.

DSC00429-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Yesterday:
Jusbox Visionary Eye
Got this as a sample from my purchase in Estonia, and I was really excited to try it.
This is supposed to be a tribute to David Bowie, and I've seen people calling it the best release of the year. Bollocks! I very rarely hate a fragrance, but this was awful on me. I hate to describe anything this way, but really it's what I thought the entire wear, smells like a retirement home.
It's like a bad Nicolai New York Extreme.

Today: Pierre Guillaume Arabian Horse
Oh my, now this is perfumery, one of the best hay scents in existence, and it does it over a beautiful, classically French chypre. My sample is almost gone, and it's on the Christmas list. One of his best works, but you do have to appreciate classic perfumery. that said, it's 100% masculine.

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Ambre Précieux

MPeG is one of the first niche house that's been around since the 80's. My understanding is that the founder, was also the founder of L'Artisan Parfumeur, which is regarded as the first niche house, at least in 'modern' times. With MPeG the founder turned towards a more classic style of perfumery, which of course piqued my interest.

Ambre Précieux is certainly the most famous fragrance from the house. It came out in 1988, and yet another first, is considered the first amber fragrance ever created. And for that reason is the reference for the genre.

The samples are daubers, which is usually a bummer, because I can never get enough on skin to get a true read of a fragrance. But that was not an issue here as it only took a tiny amount on skin, and it's been radiating all day. The performance here is astounding.

As for being the reference amber, it 100% is that indeed. This is exactly what an amber conjures. Thankfully, unlike many ambers I've tired, this one never got cloying or just annoying after an hour or two.

Great stuff, and if it performs like this, the sample vial could last a lifetime!

DSC00453.jpg

Last night -
Comme des Garçons - Yoyogi
Part of the 'legendary' Monocle Series, that focuses on various Japanocentric smells. This is meant to evoke Tokyo's famous Yoyogi Park and is a wonderfully crafted natural green scent, pine needles amidst various greenery. It's fairly light and airy, transparent and almost anime like in its portrayal. It's also growing into one of my favorite greens, very wearable and comforting, and the antithesis of that other giant in green fragrances, the old school masculine fougere. Both have their place for me, but sometimes the more introspective, less bombastic feels more true.

Sadly about 3 minutes after spraying it on, I noticed, I don't smell anything! I guess I lost my sense of smell and taste. COVID tests are negative for both me and my wife: I'm sure it will be back soon enough, until then, I guess it's a forced fragrance break. The only thing I can smell at all is this type of green, and that just barely.

Back