The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Pierre Guillaume - Animal Mondain
Lovely, slightly sweet, honeyed tobacco, with just enough grit to keep it interesting. One of the first I really went for from my original sample set, and one that opened doors to fragrance styles I'd never liked before, aka honey and sweet.

Pierre Guillaume Animal Mondain.jpg

Parfum d'Empire - Tabac Tabou
This is a pretty niche tobacco, that might not even read as a tobacco at first. If anyone's ever tried Pascal Morabito OR Black, this is really close to that, only with a degree of quality that's genuinely reflected in the price difference.
I'm pretty impressed with this, especially the use of immortelle to convey a hay and sweet honey. Immortelle is a make or break ingredient, it's very distinctive and can overwhelm any composition easily, here, the perfumer has done a masterful job masking it, so it conveys what was intended.
That said, this isn't Paco Rabbane pH. It's very wild in nature, the perfumer takes a lot of inspiration from the Corsican garrigue and it's reflected here, with a vivid sappy aromatic overtone, and this is where compared to OR Black the difference is made, there's nothing synthetic about this, rather imagine plucking a branch from a nearly dry wild shrub and that almost oily aromatic essence. My understanding is it's narcissus that give this green, almost petrol aromatic vibe, and it's something I really enjoy.

Lovely stuff that took me a number of samplings to come around to and understand, I suppose that's one thing I love about this hobby, the nose really does develop.

DSC02266.jpg

Last edited:
Back