The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Pierre Guillaume - Coze
Gingerbread pot smoker. Yes you read that right, and somehow, it's very compelling. I can see why this is one of the houses most popular.

Pierre Guillaume - Papyrus de Ciane
I don't get papyrus from this, at least not how I think of it as a dry brown papery note (ala the fabulous Parle Moi de Parfums Papyrus Oud)
Rather this would be papyrus that's still growing on the riverside. A very naturalistic, almost weedy green, but styled after those wonderful soapy, green, grassy scents of the 80's.
For me this is like a modernized version of something like Lancome Trophee, only instead of a a golf course, you're in the brush.

Pretty cool. But maybe a bit redundant feeling for my collection. Though in many ways this is closer to what I'd wished AdP's Colonia Club was.

Parufm d'Empire - Vetiver Boubon
This is without a doubt one of the best vetiver based scents on the market today. It's become my go to when I want something discreet, fresh, but with a bit of earthy depth.
It wears close, and smells of quality all the way.
(And in keeping with the Discounter thread I made, another fabulous deal from Beautinow.)

Parfum d'Empire Vetiver Bourbon.jpeg

Maria Candida Gentile - Finisterre
The guy who hates aquatics has been converted, this stuff is amazing. Many of Maria's fragrances are inspired by places, this is from the last point on the Camino de Santiago.
Sea, pines, ambergris, an almost chewy fennel like note, which I believe is that the description calls wet wood.
This feels very natural, which may be part of what puts me off the genre in general. MCG claims to use mostly natural ingredients, and here it really shows, you can almost feel the sea breeze through the flora.

IMG_1006.jpeg

Pierre Guillaume - Komorebi
You guys know that I'm always looking for great green scents. Green is like country music to me, I know it can be good but it's often just cliche and cheap, but when it's good it's good!
This is just my first testing but so far this is a real keeper for me, the type of green I've been searching for. It doesn't smell like rotting plants, cheap pine toilet cleaner, or a green aquatic popped polo shirt.
This takes me back to being home in Southern California, outside in the hills, dry grass, deciduous trees. Being SoCal, someone is burning incense nearby. But you catch wafts of it between the dry smell of the flora around you. Nothing cheap here, but green, green, green. If you're burnt Japanese incense, it's very much like that being burnt outdoors.
Straight up in the charts for me!

Interestingly there's a Reseda note in this. I didn't even know the note, but I guess it's a flower with a green scent profile. Interestingly there's a city in SoCal Reseda, and the place this takes me too in in the canyons right near there. Coincidence?

Back