The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

J1QGbTq.jpg

I’m not the biggest fan of Vetiver dominant fragrances. I just don’t like to smell like a semi sweet grass and earthiness. But, if done right with a bit of spiceness with a tiny bit of modern perfumery blending, it’s a winner. And this one from Guerlain, Extreme Vetiver (tester bottle) is just right in my wheelhouse. Vetiver is there and stays throughout the whole life of the scent but, there’s some very light citruses from the Lemon & Bergamot plus a very nice Licorice accord accompanied with a bit of Tonka Bean in the drydown. Think of it as a modern twist to the Classic Guerlain Vetiver which is a bit more earthy and herbaceous.

Is it worth having if you already have the Classic & Vintage versions? Absolutely. It’s just enough different that it stands alone as a flanker and Guerlain just does enough to still keep some of the Originals DNA in this version. Guerlain unquestionably is my favorite designer house. Perhaps not as prestigious as Chanel, Lancôme and a few others. Yet, they deliver exquisite fragrances that border on Niche quality.

C40DD207-06BB-433E-88C2-885EF51B3D81.jpeg
8647D7B2-20D9-4CAC-9044-A75D129E3B10.jpeg

I’m not the biggest fan of Vetiver dominant fragrances. I just don’t like to smell like a semi sweet grass and earthiness. But, if done right with a bit of spiceness with a tiny bit of modern perfumery blending, it’s a winner. And this one from Guerlain, Extreme Vetiver (tester bottle) is just right in my wheelhouse. Vetiver is there and stays throughout the whole life of the scent but, there’s some very light citruses from the Lemon & Bergamot plus a very nice Licorice accord accompanied with a bit of Tonka Bean in the drydown. Think of it as a modern twist to the Classic Guerlain Vetiver which is a bit more earthy and herbaceous.

Is it worth having if you already have the Classic & Vintage versions? Absolutely. It’s just enough different that it stands alone as a flanker and Guerlain just does enough to still keep some of the Originals DNA in this version. Guerlain unquestionably is my favorite designer house. Perhaps not as prestigious as Chanel, Lancôme and a few others. Yet, they deliver exquisite fragrances that border on Niche quality.

View attachment 13633
View attachment 13632

Great review! This sounds like a winner to me, the main thing I don't like about the classic is it's too old fashioned somehow, an updated version might just be the ticket.

Guerlain unquestionably is my favorite designer house. Perhaps not as prestigious as Chanel, Lancôme and a few others. Yet, they deliver exquisite fragrances that border on Niche quality.
I'm right there with you. From the classics to the more modern frags, I've gotten more bang for my buck with Guerlain than any other single house.

I'm right there with you. From the classics to the more modern frags, I've gotten more bang for my buck with Guerlain than any other single house.

Agreed. For value and performance, they were very hard to beat. Though they are not family run since the mid 90’s (acquired by the Luis Vuitton conglomerate) the last remaining perfumer from Guerlain, Jean-Paul acted as an advisor (terminated in 2010 for racist remarks) and in-house perfume creations was handed over to Thierry Wasser. Once Thierry took over (2007-2008?), the lineage of Guerlain’s being the exclusive perfumers was broken and quite possibly never be restored again. Though Thierry Wasser is very talented, the Guerlain touch is no more. And that in itself is a loss to the world of fragrance and the art of perfumery and fragrance creation.

Last edited:
1577100906902.png
Parfums De Marly Layton

This is listed as a unisex scent and this is what 1 site says about it:

Bergamot leads with its tangy passion, while lavender and geranium blend into a fresh note, chic and chivalrous all at once.
The intensity rises from mesmerizing amber, enhanced by the natural elegance of pink pepper.
Distinguished and addictive, its character carried by vanilla and precious woods grows more powerful with an intriguing note—a flavorful and fascinating hint of caramelized coffee.

I had a little trouble with the travel atomizer shooting a stream instead of a spray a few times which didn't help my aim. It was a light and hard to detect citrus to begin which lead me to pump more streams/sprays of this baby trying to ensure I could be "That Guy" today. As it dried down the scent was more detectable and I got the amber/vanilla and woods more pronounced. This is a truly amazing scent on dry down. I'm not sure of projection as I have to hold my forearm to my nose to get the scent to a level I like but man is it heavenly. A definite buy if it was at a lower price for me. I've been on a binge of late with pricey (to me) ones and need to ratchet back the fragrance buys and just enjoy the ones I have and still have coming in this week. Another amazing scent from @GlazedBoker which leads me to believe it must be nice working near this guy just to be able to get wiffs of the scents he wears....................okay, getting a little creepy and that isn't my intent. I think you get the idea. Thanks again Amigo :cool:

View attachment 13672
Parfums De Marly Layton

This is listed as a unisex scent and this is what 1 site says about it:

Bergamot leads with its tangy passion, while lavender and geranium blend into a fresh note, chic and chivalrous all at once.
The intensity rises from mesmerizing amber, enhanced by the natural elegance of pink pepper.
Distinguished and addictive, its character carried by vanilla and precious woods grows more powerful with an intriguing note—a flavorful and fascinating hint of caramelized coffee.

I had a little trouble with the travel atomizer shooting a stream instead of a spray a few times which didn't help my aim. It was a light and hard to detect citrus to begin which lead me to pump more streams/sprays of this baby trying to ensure I could be "That Guy" today. As it dried down the scent was more detectable and I got the amber/vanilla and woods more pronounced. This is a truly amazing scent on dry down. I'm not sure of projection as I have to hold my forearm to my nose to get the scent to a level I like but man is it heavenly. A definite buy if it was at a lower price for me. I've been on a binge of late with pricey (to me) ones and need to ratchet back the fragrance buys and just enjoy the ones I have and still have coming in this week. Another amazing scent from @GlazedBoker which leads me to believe it must be nice working near this guy just to be able to get wiffs of the scents he wears....................okay, getting a little creepy and that isn't my intent. I think you get the idea. Thanks again Amigo :cool:

My pleasure.... (y)

Back