The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

I was literally just on eBay and Jomashop checking out the prices on this - this is such a steal! Nice way to start your Tuesday!
I always thought of this one as a quintessential 80s powerbomb frag. I feel like I should be walking around in a white shirt with the top 3 buttons undone and a chest squirrel hanging out when I wear it.

I always thought of this one as a quintessential 80s powerbomb frag. I feel like I should be walking around in a white shirt with the top 3 buttons undone and a chest squirrel hanging out when I wear it.
Isn't that what most of us here do anyway? Well just with added food stains on the shirt.

Mancera - Saharian Wind
(From official sample)
Another nice one from Mancera. Now I don't get anything most of the reviewers talk about, but I really enjoyed the wear. (BTW Cedrat Bosie was also great, the dry down which can make or break a frag, was a real winner, and changed my opinion from neutral to like.)
Anyway, this opens a lot like Exit the King from ELdO. Musky, rosey, soapy. Then it slowly morphs into a dark musk, very similar to some from Costume National, but overall this is more refined. Quite like it, though maybe a bit redundant, I do really like this kind of dry down, so let's see what happens after I finish the sample.

Anyway, I really didn't know what to expect from Mancera, but they in that area between 'niche' and 'designer' in terms of how I perceive them. However they've all been really wearable, have some nice evolution, and last forever. In fact Tonka Cola is a top 10 for me, totally love that stuff from start to finish.

hey @HMan -I got one for you. Let me start by saying I’m definitely not an oud man or even resin. But then @MarkB sent me a sample of Creed Royal Oud and I thought it was awesome (understand that the oud is muted)…….but I just received a sample today with my Creed Bois du Portugal purchase called Omanluxury Oud Aquilaria.

1677016645730.jpeg1677016705907.png

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how much I like this - because there are very few notes that are ones that I appreciate (Amber, Labdanum, apple, sage)…..and I only like cloves in small doses (like a Bay Rum) and Rose is definitively not my thing…….and yet, I can’t stop smelling this one.

It seems so complex - and something I can see you liking or at least appreciating the craftsmanship.

hey @HMan -I got one for you. Let me start by saying I’m definitely not an oud man or even resin. But then @MarkB sent me a sample of Creed Royal Oud and I thought it was awesome (understand that the oud is muted)…….but I just received a sample today with my Creed Bois du Portugal purchase called Omanluxury Oud Aquilaria.

View attachment 105617View attachment 105618

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how much I like this - because there are very few notes that are ones that I appreciate (Amber, Labdanum, apple, sage)…..and I only like cloves in small doses (like a Bay Rum) and Rose is definitively not my thing…….and yet, I can’t stop smelling this one.

It seems so complex - and something I can see you liking or at least appreciating the craftsmanship.
Nice, I’m seeing comparisons to Frederic Malle Promise, also a Dominic Ropion creation. Good stuff! We’re going to turn you not a snooty nichehead yet!

Etat Libre d'Orange - Eloge du Traitre
Herbal, spicy, green masterpiece.
Top 10 fragrance for me, but you all know this sort of wild, naturalistic beast is right up my alley. I saw an interview with the founder where he said they are keeping this in the line, in spite of it's lower sales, and I'm very happy for that. I suppose that's why it's not available in the US, and even directly from Paris, only comes in 50 ml bottles. Of course I only need two sprays, so even that will last some time.

It's often compared to Caron Yatagan. I'll often use Yatagan late in the evening before I go to bed, if I'm in the mood for a little extra scent. It's lovely stuff, and I get the comparison, but really this is in another league. This is so much more 3-dimensional. Glad I have them both, but this is the one for me. Though I'd be kidding myself to say everyone should rush out and grab it, I'm sure it's not ELdO's best seller for a reason, but personally, I love it. However if you like fragrances like Yatagan, then this is very much worth checking out.

ELdO Eloge d'Traitre.jpeg

Back