The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Etat Libre d'Orange - Eloge du Traitre
Herbal, spicy, green masterpiece.
Top 10 fragrance for me, but you all know this sort of wild, naturalistic beast is right up my alley. I saw an interview with the founder where he said they are keeping this in the line, in spite of it's lower sales, and I'm very happy for that. I suppose that's why it's not available in the US, and even directly from Paris, only comes in 50 ml bottles. Of course I only need two sprays, so even that will last some time.

It's often compared to Caron Yatagan. I'll often use Yatagan late in the evening before I go to bed, if I'm in the mood for a little extra scent. It's lovely stuff, and I get the comparison, but really this is in another league. This is so much more 3-dimensional. Glad I have them both, but this is the one for me. Though I'd be kidding myself to say everyone should rush out and grab it, I'm sure it's not ELdO's best seller for a reason, but personally, I love it. However if you like fragrances like Yatagan, then this is very much worth checking out.

View attachment 105758
Well poop, I guess it has been discontinued :( Sad to see if true.

Feeling bummed about Eloge du Traitre, was looking for other herbal greens in my collection, and sampled -
Lorenzo Villoresi - Yerbamate
Opening is very true to life grass clippings, and though I love greens, not so much that type, though it wasn't bad in any way.
The sillage was very different from the distinct grass smell on the wrist, and I was enjoying it for about 30 minutes, until it started moving in a feminine direction for me.
Since I was really in a mood for something different, I did a rare scrub and then went with

Parfum d'Empire - Iskander
This is a very green lemony citrus chypre, I don't know if my nose is getting better or the bottle is macerating, but I get the citrus much more strongly now than I did at first. Lasts maybe 20-30 minutes, and then the dark greens and oak moss come in. This is an outstanding citrus for winter, one of my favorites from the house, though I seem to be an outlier there. What's new?

Need to hear your thoughts on this sometime.

Herbaceous aromatic with a light citrus to start. Not much sweetness in this and it doesn’t need it either but, the Cardamom adds a bit to soften the bitter and green pine like notes. The drydown is old world oakmoss, patchouli, vetiver and cypress while still having that pine like green vibe throughout the fragrances life. Think walking in a pine tree wooded area in the early morning of a brisk but, sunny spring day where there was a light rainfall the night before. Soak in those wood and fir like accords with the dew glistening off the forest floor as you crush the leaves and foliage underneath each step you take catching that subtle earthiness as you stir up the ground. Now, take a can of Barbasol shave foam and place it in your shirt pocket and squeeze the button nozzle and let your shirt absorb the foam and the shave foam scent. That is what I get from Cipresso di Toscana. Nearly a traditional barber shop type classic with an aromatic twist. As only ADP could pull it off. If traditional barber shop like type aromas are your jam, this is it. Perhaps not the best of its type but, it smells natural and of top quality ingredients. And very affordable from the auction sites and fragrance discounters.

Blind buy worthy? Damn straight….👌

Herbaceous aromatic with a light citrus to start. Not much sweetness in this and it doesn’t need it either but, the Cardamom adds a bit to soften the bitter and green pine like notes. The drydown is old world oakmoss, patchouli, vetiver and cypress while still having that pine like green vibe throughout the fragrances life. Think walking in a pine tree wooded area in the early morning of a brisk but, sunny spring day where there was a light rainfall the night before. Soak in those wood and fir like accords with the dew glistening off the forest floor as you crush the leaves and foliage underneath each step you take catching that subtle earthiness as you stir up the ground. Now, take a can of Barbasol shave foam and place it in your shirt pocket and squeeze the button nozzle and let your shirt absorb the foam and the shave foam scent. That is what I get from Cipresso di Toscana. Nearly a traditional barber shop type classic with an aromatic twist. As only ADP could pull it off. If traditional barber shop like type aromas are your jam, this is it. Perhaps not the best of its type but, it smells natural and of top quality ingredients. And very affordable from the auction sites and fragrance discounters.

JJ is one of the best reviewers around, sounds right up my alley.

Le Galion - Sang Bleu
Oh what a lovely take on that classic soapy blue fougere, in the same vein as Kouros but IMHO, more wearable and has more depth.
This exists on three levels simultaneously, that hair chested blue fougere, soapy "Irish Spring", and musty church where incense has been burnt for generations. You can pick each up depending on where your focus is, and over the wear, they exchange and intermingle.

Le Galion Sang Bleu.jpeg

Must get a sample of this!

Back