The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Love this peppery and citrus throwback with a wonderful nutmeg, clove and other spices that meld seamlessly. The sandalwood, incense and leather balance out the whole composition remarkably well.. Ahead of its time as it still smells contemporary and modern in today's perfume landscape. Vintage is best but, new bottles will work nicely.

IMG_20221009_113206370.jpg

Caron - Le 3e Homme de Caron (aka Caron 3rd Man)
One of my all time favorites, spicy fougere opens with a rich bit of lemon, and followed up with clove, and that most masculine floral combo of geranium and carnation. Dry down adds a light slightly animalic musk Not gourmand in any way, so no Christmas ham associations, just a super masculine cool weather scent. Really worth scoping out if you're a fan of classic masculines with just enough of a twist to be unique.

IMG_9882.jpeg

Narciso Rodriguez - for him EdT
This is the original, composed by Francis Kurkdijan and it's a bit of a cult classic, but now discontinued. I ran into a good deal on eBay and actually won the auction. TBH I'm going to say I think that the cult standing is a bit overblown, this is a nice violet and patchouli modern fougere type thing. My first couple of wearings I was a bit meh, and thought the EdP was a notch better. I still do, but I also wear this one more. Another that makes the cold dark weather more bearable, as this came to life the last couple of wearings, whereas in the heat I sort of got mostly a unripe banana like vibe.

I slept poorly last night and had to take a long walk in the rain to pick up a package. (Why they send them halfway across town when there are at least 5 pick up points closer is a 21st century conundrum.) I didn't really think about it, and just sprayed this on as an easy, but different, choice. And well, the reviews are right on this aspect, it's a great rainy day scent, and has been a very enjoyable wear today, enough that I gave a re-spray this evening instead of going with another option.

Would I tell someone to seek this out, definitely no, unless you really have a hankering for it, it may be a fougere, but it's a androgynous as one can be, which I don't think is everyone here's thing. But on a wet dreary day in Helsinki a little Blade Runner vibe goes down well, so I'm giving it a thumbs up, and glad I took the risk and got it.

IMG_0634.jpeg

Woods, musk & a velvety smooth vetiver. Not your typical Blue type fragrance such as Bleu de Chanel or Dior Sauvage. This goes through a more seductive and cleaner vibe. I'd swear there's Iris in here but, none is listed. Gorgeous composition nonetheless.

View attachment 95410
We must be channeling the same spirts again today! I've been very close to getting this one a couple of time, as I like the two OG for him's I have, and this sounds like a different enough take on the bleu genre to be worth a try.

BTW I see Iris listed as a note, on Notino at least.

The new Parfum seems to be making a minor wave now, but the EdP sounds like the best choice to start with to me.

Last edited:
We must be channeling the same spirts again today! I've been very close to getting this one a couple of time, as I like the two OG for him's I have, and this sounds like a different enough take on the bleu genre to be worth a try.

The new Parfum seems to be making a minor wave now, but the EdP sounds like the best choice to start with to me.

Its worth sampling. The OG has that sort of pepper and wet cement like aura with a lightly sweetened musk in the drydown. This one though is purely woods (ebony wood being one of them) and musk with a floral undertone and an Iris vibe to my nose. There is a light tinge of ambroxan but, nothing in comparison to the blue genre of fragrances that permeate the landscape today. It's very well done and is unique in the Blue Fragrance category.

Its worth sampling. The OG has that sort of pepper and wet cement like aura with a lightly sweetened musk in the drydown. This one though is purely woods (ebony wood being one of them) and musk with a floral undertone and an Iris vibe to my nose. There is a light tinge of ambroxan but, nothing in comparison to the blue genre of fragrances that permeate the landscape today. It's very well done and is unique in the Blue Fragrance category.
That sounds good to me, and I don't really have any modern woods that aren't of the pencil shaving variety or any Blue scents but then my neighbor has enough for the both of us.

Back