The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

This one is simply fantastic. I know, it has performance issues but, a few extra sprays under the shirt and on clothing it sticks all day for a clean citrus & light woody drydown. Fantastic quality that puts it in the realm of Tom Ford's Private Blend line of Neroli Portofino, Mandarino Di Amalfi & Aqua, Sole Di Positano etc. Of course Artisan not sporting any Neroli but, it does incorporate orange blossom and an herbal aspect from the thyme that feels more inline with the scent than rosemary does with TF NP and its flankers. The JV Artisan quality is quite close to the TF offerings with the latter getting the edge in the composition as a whole but, not by much. To be honest the Private Collection line of Neroli Portofino if my opinions added up to a hill of beans (not much) is severely overpriced and as a whole excruciatingly underwhelming in performance. For nearly 1/10 of the cost of TF NP one can pick this awesome juice up for under $25 US for a full 125ml bottle and be strikingly close the the TF variants. Remember, the same perfumer that created Neroli Portofino also created Artisan & Artisan Pure for JV. Plus Artisan predates Neroli Portofino by a few years.

Point is if you enjoy a soapy citrus with a clean woods and musk drydown, this one is as good as it gets for the little $$$ outlay required.

375x500.5534.jpg

This one is simply fantastic. I know, it has performance issues but, a few extra sprays under the shirt and on clothing it sticks all day for a clean citrus & light woody drydown. Fantastic quality that puts it in the realm of Tom Ford's Private Blend line of Neroli Portofino, Mandarino Di Amalfi & Aqua, Sole Di Positano etc. Of course Artisan not sporting any Neroli but, it does incorporate orange blossom and an herbal aspect from the thyme that feels more inline with the scent than rosemary does with TF NP and its flankers. The JV Artisan quality is quite close to the TF offerings with the latter getting the edge in the composition as a whole but, not by much. To be honest the Private Collection line of Neroli Portofino if my opinions added up to a hill of beans (not much) is severely overpriced and as a whole excruciatingly underwhelming in performance. For nearly 1/10 of the cost of TF NP one can pick this awesome juice up for under $25 US for a full 125ml bottle and be strikingly close the the TF variants. Remember, the same perfumer that created Neroli Portofino also created Artisan & Artisan Pure for JV. Plus Artisan predates Neroli Portofino by a few years.

Point is if you enjoy a soapy citrus with a clean woods and musk drydown, this one is as good as it gets for the little $$$ outlay required.

View attachment 94057

That is one that I need to pick up. I have yet to put my nose on any offering from Varvatos that I don’t like, and some, like Artisan Pure, that are downright incredible. That was my go-to this summer.

I'm completely taken aback by this really wonderful fragrance from Commodity. Honey & Basil at the opening with a tinge of citrus. That opening gets lighter within 10 minutes but, the Honey note lingers and melds beautifully with the Oolong Tea and Rose notes. I get a slight pinch of Tonka Bean that just dips in and out while I get more of the Tobacco, Patchouli and Sandalwood that is velvety smooth and prevalent from the deep middle right on down to the drydown. The tea accord with the Tobacco & Patchouli are front and center, on my skin at least and steers this fragrance more to the masculine side. And with temps in the cool mid 60's, this is perfect for this type of climate. Really under the radar scent that was made for autumn and cooler weather. It's a super relaxing wear that gives feel good vibes.

IMG_20220924_084629587.jpg

Frederic Malle - French Lover
From a sample

IMO the best fragrance from the house, sort of a brown green feeling scent. Very dank, vegetal, but not like that crushed leaves type, something darker and more earthy.
Galbanum, Angelica, Incense, and Vetiver are the main players. For me, there's not a lot of evolution, though the incense does come in and out somewhat.
This is a very down to earth masculine, but also very put together and classy. A top scent for me, the only real ding being it's a bit too linear for my taste, there aren't many linear and long lasting frags that don't start to wear on me though.

At Malle prices, it's hard for me to justify, but might be a terrific birthday gift this year with my 60th coming up, just thinking if I want to put this 'on the list' or not...
In any case, if you're ever by a Frederic Malle counter, do give this a sniff, I'd love to know what you think :)

Etat Libre d'Orange - The Afternoon of a Faun
Wonderful modern take on an old school masculine chypre. Opens with a transparent rose accord, then moss and soap come in, and it's almost a tobacco root beer feel. Really enjoying this so far on my first wearing, it ticks those old school boxes, yet feels extremely wearable.

IMG_0623.jpeg

So very sad that this was discontinued, as it is tied for first in my favorite tobacco frags. I’m glad I have a bottle, but I would have picked up a couple spares since it is going for 4x it’s original price in the secondary market.

7E9C97EE-79E9-43E2-A2F8-D648743617F1.jpeg

Back